Sunday, September 02, 2007

Summer TV - Parte Uno

It's still summer. Over here it has been hitting the high 90s recently. I know I'm a spoiled Northern Californian when I hope September brings cooler temps. And all the more so when my thoughts (and prayers) wander to our troops, who must do their difficult jobs in 115+ degree heat.

I haven't posted in about 2 weeks and I'm really sorry about that.

While I was gone (well, it happened yesterday, but technically that is while I was gone) Dan was very kind and tapped my blog for a blogger award. I just want to thank Dan again, especially for the kind words in his post, and let everyone know to check out his post (which lists the 4 other blogs he tapped, as well as who tapped him). In any case, it's wonderful all-around blog fun and a great way to be introduced to other blogs.

And now to the main point of this post: Summer TV. TV is pretty crappy year round (well, that's my opinion). At the same time, there are shows I truly adore and respect (The Daily Show, most of PBS, 30 ROCK, LOST, THE OFFICE, HOUSE, THE UNIT, etc). Unfortunately, most of these shows go on hiatus during the summer, allowing me to experience (or have the chance to experience) more of the crappy TV. However, my recent crappy TV viewing will be the subject of my next post: Summer TV - Parte Dos. Yes, I am a master of the ratings cliffhanger.

While I am pessimistic of TV as a whole, some TV isn't really crappy as it is just plain silly. But I see the appeal of silly; especially in regard to one particular type of show. That's right, the karaoke game show. Who watches the silly "Singing Bee" on NBC? Ayup, I do. I'm not the biggest fan of pop music either, but I'm one of those people who really shouldn't (because he cannot) sing but I'd go to great lengths to have a strong singing voice. However, success on the "The Singing Bee" isn't really about singing well (though I must say I'm jealous shocked that so many of the contestants are decent singers). It is actually about pop music lyrical knowledge. If you can remember the correct song lyrics, you'll win. I'm not sure how many other people out there are enjoying "The Singing Bee" and to those of you who find such a show, well, silly ... you're right. But I must admit that it is silly fun. The pop songs range from the 60s to present day, so while you'll have to endure some Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears, it is seldom, and soon balanced out by some Elvis or The Temptations. In the end it's a fun 30 minutes and, at least for me, it's rather easy to get into the show and root for the contestants (some of whom will surprise you with their pop lyrics knowledge).

13 comments:

NY KAT said...

I only watched that show once, but I really liked it! I would have totally won too!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

My favourite part of The Singing Bee is the Bee Girl Dancers. How does one get a job like that? And what would one put on their resume after? "NBC Bee Girl". Awesome.

Kelly said...

I haven't watched it yet. I have to admit, I changed the channel. NExt time, I'll have to give it a chance because I love to sing.

I can't wait for Amazing Race to start back up!

sage said...

One of the worst memories in my life was going with a music teacher to a karaoke bar where everyone thought WE should sing (and she wanting too). There wasn't enough liquor in the place to get me up there! That was nearly 20 years ago and ever since, I've wished karaoke would go back to Japan where it started!

Of course, I haven't seen the show and the humilation just described isn't the reason. Thanks for keeping us up with pop culture.

Jenny said...

It's a pretty silly summer show, but I like it because everyone seems to win some decent amount of money. I'm mostly amazed at how well they remember song lyrics. I can barely remember my own home address.

Diane said...

v - if you were going to sing karaoke, what would you sing?

GetFlix said...

The Unit is going to rock this year!!

Ryan said...

Is the Singing Bee the one with Joey Fatone? I like tat better than the Wayne Brady one. That guy is evil incarnate.

sage said...

V-I nominated you for another award...

yll said...

You also seem to be the master of counting to two in Spanish.

LA said...

I haven't seen the Singing Bee. But one good summer show is an AMC original series called Mad Men, created by one of the writers/producers of The Sopranos. Highly recommend.

Princess in Galoshes said...

We use the summers to rent the last season of whatever shows we liked, but didn't watch during the fall/winter/spring because we were busy.

We're cheaters like that.

But The Funasaurus is with you on the Singing Bee-thing. Which is entirely foreign to me, because I don't know any lyrics to any songs. (Except for "Happy Birthday") whereas my darling significant other can quote the most random Doobie Brother's crap verbatim.

Diane said...

did you read the good news about the Jena case?