Sunday, July 23, 2006

KICKING & SCREAMING

I don't think I posted this review before, but if I did, my apologies. This movie is hilarious because of the star and the supporting cast. However, the forced 'lesson of day' that's tacked on is so irritating that I was kind of disappointed. Anyway, if you need a laugh and a family flick ... this is your movie.

KICKING & SCREAMING (2005)

Star Rating: ***1/2 out of 5

A light comedy/after-school special, this movie is worth viewing thanks to Will Ferrell and company. Ferrell plays a goofy, loving family man who doesn’t have the greatest relationship with his father (Duvall). It seems Duvall wanted a sports stud as a son and got an uncoordinated but amiable vitamin store owner. When Ferrell steps in to coach his own son’s soccer team (last place misfits, natch) he finds himself competing with his father who coaches the soccer league’s top team. Yes, the setup is predictable but it gives Ferrell a great open field in which to operate his comedic gold. And while this will never be the funniest Will Ferrell movie, there are enough solid laughs that you won’t be disappointed. There’s also a hokey lesson involved in the movie that seems so forced that it was simply stapled on. In the end, it’s a worthy family movie that will satisfy anyone under 15 and over 30. Oh yeah, Coach Ditka is a thief because he steals several scenes.

3 comments:

v said...

I just want to add that Will Ferrell might be the funniest person alive. It should be a crime to be that funny. I'm serious people.

Fin.

sage said...

I could use a funny movie now--I've got several movies and books I need to review--just haven't had time. Thanks for this review.

Anonymous said...

I so always need a laugh at movie time.

I can almost never watch horror movies, it seems like life is horrific enough these days. So thanks, I'll add that one to my netflix.