Thursday, July 06, 2006

SKY CAPTAIN ...

I can't believe it has been so long since I last posted. My apologies to the blog buddies out there. I will definitely try to post more often.

This next review is about a film I wanted to see when it first came out but simply missed it. I'm glad I finally caught up with it. Anyway, on to the review.

SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW (2004)


Star rating: **** out of 5

A charming sci-fi flick with retro flair and gorgeous digital cinematography. The best way I can describe this movie is to say it’s one part aerial Indiana Jones, one part 1950's sci-fi, and one part romantic comedy. That’s right, perhaps the hidden gem of the movie is the funny, sparkling chemistry between the two leads (Jude Law and Gwenyth Paltrow). But this movie is first and foremost a visual spectacle. Virtually the entire film was digitally produced (except for the actors and certain portions of interior settings) and this results in a unique look not really seen before. It is a color noir that is almost congruent with the black and white film noirs of the 1940s and 1950s; the chiaroscuro lighting and the expressive use of shadow are front and center. Beyond the impressive visuals is a charming sci-fi adventure story that need not be taken so seriously, like the matinee serials the movie emulates. Nevertheless, the plot of mysterious robots attacking the globe’s major cities is a lot of fun and simply relax and watch as Sky Captain (Law) and intrepid reporter Polly Perkins (Paltrow) try to save the planet. This is a wonderful, stylish, and old school alternative to the explosion heavy, video game-like sci fi flicks we usually see. And in the end, if this type of movie has your curiosity piqued, I’d be willing to bet it charms you in the end.

6 comments:

ffleur said...

Hey, don't stay away so long next time!

Good review. I wanted to see this but the critics sort of pasted it so I skipped. Guess I should ignore them eh?

If I recall the ads, wasn't Angelina Jolie in this? A baddie with an eyepatch?

yll said...

Oh, I had passed on this one too. It had me curious, but ultimately, I didn't end up watching it. I guess it's back on the list now though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jay said...

I may watch this if you can confirm a partially nude Angelina Jolie smoking cigarettes and saying dirty things.

sage said...

Welcome back, another good review of a genre I don't normally watch--but it sounds interesting.

Marcia said...

I've been meaning to see this one, but I've never gotten around to it. Maybe I will now... :)

GetFlix said...

I want to see this one, strictly from a technical POV. "Color noir" seems like a good way to describe it.