Saturday, June 24, 2006

10 Things ...

I caught this movie some time ago and had the review in stock, as I like to say, but forgot to post it. Anyway, I've always heard good things (mostly by the women folk) and I wasn't disappointed ... in fact I would say I was pleasantly surprised. I think you will be too.

10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (1999)

Star rating: **** out of 5

I can see why women go crazy for this flick. It's a sharp high school comedy with quite a bit of charm and a strong ending that'll get to even cynical romantics. Thanks to a kooky father, a sophomore (Larisa Oleynik) can date only when her older sister (Julia Stiles) dates. Unfortunately, the older sister is a cynical, sarcastic contrarian who feels the boys at their school are all idiotic miscreants. Throw in suitors who scheme and hire a beau for a chance with the younger sister and you have the plot. The film is beyond funny and smoothly satirizes high school life. The dialogue is crisp and genuine and takes advantage by quoting Shakespeare here and there. The real gem is the acting with the four main players not only bringing reality to their roles but a nice dose of chemistry (especially Stiles and Heath Ledger). Funnyman Larry Miller plays the father and steals a scene or three. And Andrew Keegan enjoys his time as the foil. Highly recommended; as is the Shakespeare play the film is loosely based on.

4 comments:

Marcia said...

That movie has the best lines of any chick flick. My sisters and I still quote it. Hell, I bet you I've quoted it on my blog in the past 6 months. And I bet it was the "I like my Sketchers, but I love my Prada backpack" line.

Apparently, I've never left highschool. Because that's where I was when this came out.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I love this movie so much I own it. Heath Ledger really has changed over the years, eh? My favourite line in the movie will always be:

What's normal? Those damn Dawson's River kids, sleeping in each other's beds and what not?

I also really like the music in this movie.

yll said...

I generally love all these Shakespeare remakes. Like Baz Lurhmann's (sp?) Romeo & Juliet, the Julia Stiles/Mekhi version of Othello (was it just called "O"?), & my fave Shakespeare remake: My Own Private Idaho.

I think if you haven't seen the last one yet, watch it. Then, re-read the play (Henry the IVth, part 1), then re-watch the movie w/ the play in front of you. I've seen the movie at least 20 times (although, I've only read the play about 4).

sage said...

Good review V (but I now have too many movies to see).