Thursday, June 01, 2006

I, ROBOT (2004)

I'm wary of summer blockbusters because H-wood has a penchant for making crappola. Filmmaking is a business to the studios so quite a few blockbusters are cold, rigid, by-the-numbers unoriginality. When I first heard about I, ROBOT I thought it would be more of the same. However, once I learned Alex Proyas (THE CROW, DARK CITY) was at the helm I had a slight change of tune. And after viewing the entertaining flick I can honestly say this is the rare summer blockbuster with substance and style.

A first rate sci-fi action thriller filled with enough suspense and intelligence to keep you on the edge of your seat. Will Smith is an old school cop who shuns the latest technology and finds robots (which are ubiquitous in 2035) cold and suspicious. He investigates what may be the first ever robot crime (a murder no less) with the help of Bridget Moynahan’s psychologist for robots. Director Alex Proyas illustrates the future with flourishes and dabs of sleek new fashions (the cars, the robots, the clothes). However, it’s not overboard which adds to the appeal and believability. The writers skillfully intertwine a superb murder mystery with the central theme of technology as a tool or another form of life. Proyas has crafted an all around great film that will entertain you and make you think. And as any great sci-fi flick should have, the film has a wonderful visual effect or two (once again Proyas and company keep it light, so as to not bog down the film with visual spectacle). Alan Tudyk is especially fantastic as one of the main robots (it’s his voice and facial expressions that bring the character to life). Highly recommended.

7 comments:

ffleur said...

V: I checked out your profile. I like may of the same movie: LA Confidential, Casablanca, Blade Runner, Heavenly Creatures.

Of the last, did you know the Kate Winslet character grew up, changed her name to Ann Perry and now writes murder mysteries? She knows of what she writes....

v said...

Yes, I was aware of that. I think it makes the film and the incident that much more riveting and ambiguous. The main characters are sympathetic and yet the event is hideously grisly. That much more to think about.

sage said...

Good review, and it sounds like an interesting movie.

I had to laugh at the thought of a pyschologist for a robot. If robots can murder, what kind of punishment do they receive? Melted down into scrap metal?

Kat said...

Going deep into the library for this movie, huh? LOL!

I don't remember much about the movie, except that I was *very* annoyed that they seemed to "dumb down" the female roll. (Shooting with her eyes closed...come on!) I called it "Minority Report...with Robots."

v said...

You make a solid point Kat. I think the eyes closed thing was the the film's attempt at comic relief. I guess it didn't get the memo that it wasn't a comedy. But as a guy I probably gloss over the female stereotype. And to this the fact that Bridget Moynahan is super hot and I guess it is little surprise I didn't catch how flat the female lead was. Also, while I haven't read the short stories by Isaac Asimov (from which the film is very loosely based) I do know that the character Moynahan portrays is very important as a robot psychologist. But I guess H-wood wouldn't have had a sci-fi action thriller if the adaptation was closer. And as sci-fi action thrillers go, this one has enough intelligence to stellarly entertain.

v said...

PS - And wait for the next review. The film in question has a solid female lead and performance.

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»