Monday, June 05, 2006

ETERNAL SUNSHINE FOR THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004)

I've been wanting to catch ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND for some time now. And after experiencing it I'm mad I had not seen it sooner. If you've wanted to catch this stellar film but haven't ... do yourself a favor and write "eternal sunshine" on a post-it note and attach it to your forehead. Don't worry, the film is worth a day of weird looks.

On to the review:

Charlie Kaufman is as much a film auteur (author) as any major director working today. When you view one of his scripts on the screen you know you are in for something different, something artistic, something penetrating. For me, one of Kaufman’s main gifts is his ability to create such genuine, unsentimental couples. The relationships he describes jump off the screen; they’re multidimensional and real. At times you feel like a nosy neighbor, perhaps getting too much information. But that’s the gift and charm and insight, and this romantic comedy revolving around a quirky couple displays Kaufman’s wonderful writing ability front and center. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet play the couple in question and at the heart of the plot is a medical-ish company that can erase all the memories of a bad relationship. Learning Winslet’s character has wiped him out of her memory, Carrey’s character does the same. During the process he has second thoughts and he takes us on a journey through his memories as he tries to hold on to precious moments. The camerawork is fantastic as Gondry uses just enough special effects (of which only a few are digital) to give us the feeling of a merging or collapsing memory. The acting is superb; everyone brings their A game. All in all, a masterwork by those involved.

As you can tell, I adore this film. I can't say enough about the acting or the dialogue. Kirsten Dunst and Mark Ruffalo, who have supporting roles, are phenomenal. And wait till you catch Elijah Wood in this flick. Kaufman and Gondry create a wonderful, hysterical and bittersweet milieu that this film completely embodies. A film definitely not to be missed.

10 comments:

0000 said...

I absolutely LOVED this film!

BTW, have you seen Big Fish? Another superb film.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Alright, this is going on my mental list of movies I have to see. Good review. And it will be nice to see Jim Carrey in something where he doesn't talk out of him ass.

Kat said...

I agree whole-heartedly! I loved this film and was so disappointed when Jim Carrey did not even receive a nomination for his work. (If fellow alumni can win an Oscar, so can Fire Marshall Bill!)

My most favorite Carrey work : Simon Birch. (He was the voice over, and so completely made the movie.)

ESofSM was one of favorite movies of 2004. However, I remember feeling like I took a hit of acid on the way out of the theater...it was trippy!

Jay said...

My love for this film is unprecedented, because under any other circumstance, I cannot stand Mark Ruffalo.

yll said...

I'm so glad you finally saw it. I knew you'd totally love it too!

Idle's right; if you haven't seen Big Fish yet, please do so. Also, Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. Not that we're trying to control you or anything.

sage said...

Okay, another movie for my netflix quene. Good review V.

v said...

To those of you that find Jim Carrey in all out ham mode a bit unpleasant ... run to see this film. His performance is tremondous (as is Winslet's) and you will be amazed to find Carrey has great acting chops.

Also, after rereading my review, I'd like to stress how impressive the visual palette of the film is. Gondry and company create an ever-changing world of memories with flair. The visuals are as important and as magnificent as the acting and the dialogue.

Virenda said...

Uh did you say Mark Ruffalo? Seriously I will watch it if he's in it. I've been wanting to see it too but I keep forgetting to buy stick it note pads. Damn.


Jay I do not know you. How can you NOT think Mark is totally hot? :0)

(on a side note totally NOT about this post. V that is why I posted that post because Old hollywood starlets are the reason we have the whores we have now. I love old hollywood but they were just as whorey, but they did it so well.) oh and no I didn't spell check but I blame it on the mojitos

v said...

Thanks for the sidenote Vi, and I just posted since I remember reading about the extracurricular activities of golden age hollywood stars and starlets in a book or two. It was interesting and I it's nice to now we haven't really come very far, just more open and nosy, hah.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»