Tuesday, July 31, 2007

An Update Post and Guess How Much Coin Judge Judy Pulls?

For those of you who haven't heard of the Jena 6, please, please read the previous post. Thank you.

Jena 6 Update: Kelly and Diane have respectively mentioned (in the comments of the Jena 6 post) that NPR once again aired a news story on the Jena 6, and that the Jena 6 will finally see some prime time coverage on the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric. Also, the NAACP has joined to help defend the Jena 6. I believe today was supposed to be the day for an organized march in Jena in support of the Jena 6, but perhaps that got delayed or postponed because the sentencing of one of the Jena 6 has also been delayed. For more info check out this great piece from the Blogger News Network. Among the things it mentions is a recent forum in Jena organized by the DOJ. One would think the US Attorney for the region would be outraged, though diplomatically so. Unfortunately that's not the case. Check out the BNN piece, some of the quotes from the US Attorney are baffling.

Troy Davis Update: On the 4th of July I posted about Troy Davis who is on death row despite the strong case that he is innocent, and certainly deserves (at the very least) a new trial. For more info, check out that post. Once again I must state that I learned about the plight of Troy Davis thanks to the wonderful Yllwdaisies who blogged about it. Well, the supercool Yllwdaisies has posted an update. Less than 24 hours before his execution date, Troy Davis was granted a stay of execution. Unfortunately this stay lasts a maximum of 90 days. The stay was granted on July 16. For those of you who feel, as I do, that Troy Davis is living a nightmarish injustice, please take action asking the Georgia State Board of Pardons & Paroles to take further action on his behalf. Thank you. (Once again special thanks to Yllwdaisies for posting about this.)

I've mentioned wrongful convictions before and I truly feel it is an incredibly important issue. I really cannot under stress it. Anyway, I just wanted to link to a recent case in which 4 men were awarded $102 million dollars for being framed by the FBI and spending over 30 years in prison. Unfortunately, 2 of the men died in prison. While the award is a pittance compared to what the men endured, it does roughly come out to $1 million dollars for every year sentenced. Unfortunately this type of compensation is rare in wrongful convictions. Currently, only 22 states even have compensation statutes. Though even these vary from state to state. Some include stipulations invalidating compensation for those wrongfully convicted by coerced confessions. There is also no fixed sum or range of sum for compensation. Recently, Congress and the President recommended $50k for every year of false imprisonment, and an additional $50k (so $100k total) for every year on death row. Let me reiterate that this is only a recommendation and the 22 states that due have compensation statues vary in their sum/range numbers. I'm not sure about you, but if I was wrongfully incarcerated I'd be demanding a lot more than $50k a year, and way more than $100k a year for being on death row. There are also many other issues such as public acknowledgement of the wrongful conviction, some states have inmates waive their right to sue in order to take a DNA test or do not expunge their record, as well as job and life training to catch up for lost time. As you may have guessed, I summarized the above (regarding post-wrongful conviction issues) from the Innocence Project. They have a great section dedicated to such an important topic of the wrongful conviction issue. For those interested, please check it out (it's actually a quick read, though you might be dumbfounded by some of the facts presented).

<> <> <> <>

This is a bit random, but I had to share it. The other day Reuters posted a list of the top salaries on television. Before I begin, I must ask, how much do you think Judge Judy makes a year? The mighty Harpo of course took the top spot with a whopping $260 million. This might be a little bit out of context since she owns/produces the show, but yeah, this seems to be just her profit from the show (not including the parts of the empire: magazine, Dr. Phil, merchandise, radio, etc) -- scary. In second place is Simon Cowell from American Idol who brings in $45 million a year. Cowell also does some "producing" (music and otherwise) so I'm not sure if the entire sum is for his appearance as a judge, but it is probably safe to say much of it is. Once again pretty scary. And in third place we have, that's right people, Judge Judy herself. Believe it or not, Judge Judy takes down $30 million a year. I'm not sure what her off-camera duties are, if she owns the show like Oprah or what, but no matter how this is drawn up, it's still $30 freakin' million dollars. Wow, Judge Judy pulls down more than A-Rod.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure which of the three is the most shocking.

15 comments:

Ryan said...

Let me tell you I think Judge Judy is worth every penny. I use to watch her religiously when I was an undergrad.

My favorite quote from her has to be,
"Don't pee on my leg and tell me it is raining."

I think she used that as a title for a book she wrote years ago.

She is one tough cooke, and doesn't take any prisoners.

sage said...

They are making that much and I don't even watch them!

I've always been against the capital punishment and maybe I should blog about it. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Diane said...

I should call Judge Judy's producers and tell them I can be a shrill bitch for half that amount . . .

Ryan said...

I will gladly participate in any protest rally that is against Judge Judy's hefty salary.

Jay said...

It figures that all the a-holes are the ones pulling in the chedda'. Yes, I mean Oprah too.

yll said...

I heard about Jena 6 from you, so it all comes around. That's what blog friends are for.

I did also hear about Judy Judy's dough! And I'd like to put myself in the running to do it for less than diane even! haha.

GetFlix said...

V, the Salvati case is huge. It is truly justice served. You have great passion and it shows in your posts.

But agree with Ryan. Don't mess with America's favorite Judy.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Once, my mom and I were watching the news. Whatever story they were featuring that day was pissing her off, so she turned the channel, saying "I'm not watching this crap anymore!" And yes, she turned the "crap" news off for Judge Judy. I believe I shook my head at her for the next week or so.

Favourite line from the movie Hot Fuzz:

Nicholas Angel: We have to do something. Frank has appointed himself as Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Danny Butterman: He is not Judge Judy and Executioner!!

Jenny said...

I am so in the wrong profession. I actually work for a living.

v said...

Ryan - Glad to hear there are Judge Judy fans out there. Though let's not get crazy with the "worth every penny" stuff. Lol.

Sage - I don't watch them either. We're not missing much. And I'd

Diane - Do you need a manager?

Ryan - I'll make the signs.

Blog Portland - It ain't fair if you ask me; it sure ain't fair. But it's so true. Example: Donald Trump.

Yllwdaisies - Ayup, our blog circle in action. Thanks for the posts and links. And perhaps you and Diane can collaborate. The two of you will, of course, need a manager.

Getflix - Thanks for the kind words. And how many Judge Judy fans are out there? Lol.

Mishy - Moms are crazy like that. Though this makes another Judge Judy fan sighting. They're growing rapidly. Perhaps they'll take over the world?

And I do need to see HOT FUZZ.

Anon Boxer - Ha! Brilliantly stated.

ffleur said...

I cannot stand Judge Judy and her doily collar. Its simply not dignified enough for court. Her shrill voice also goes thru my head like a nail.

When I read Jena6 my first thought was Star Trek. But then I read the previous post. As soon as I read "travesty of justice" I knew it was going to be about Black Americans.

Is the south going to fight the civil war for the rest of eternity? I don't get this stupidity.

yll said...

mishy- I just saw 'Hot Fuzz' last night!!! Now, I have to go back & see their other movie, 'Shaun of the Dead'.

LA said...

I've been spreading the word on the Jena 6, V. Thanks for keeping us informed on these grave injustices.

Judge Judy's paycheck is totally mind-blowing!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Yllwdaisies: You won't be disappointed with Shaun of the Dead. Trust me.

V: How goes the school stuff? Last I heard you were accepted to one law school. Have you picked one? What will you be doing in September? Hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

magnificent publish, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not realize this. You should proceed your writing. I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!

------------------------------------------------------
icamtech.com|[url=http://icamtech.com/led_strip_lights]Led strip lights[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com/led_light_bulbs]led replacement bulbs[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com/led_ceiling_light]Led ceiling light[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com/led_candles]led window candles[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com/led_par_lamp]par20 led[/url]