Monday, April 02, 2007

Company Man

I really cannot stand the Bush Administration right now. And it's not like I can remember a time when I could stand them. But 7 years ago, as a naive and idealistic college student, I thought Al Gore was a sellout for not embracing Nader and the issues he was championing. And while, even then, I realized Bush would be bad news for this country ... I must admit that when the Supreme Court (basically) handed Bush the presidency I thought to myself, how bad could it really be. Ayup, I actually said that to myself. In my defense, at the time I had no idea the Bush campaign had push-polled McCain so egregiously in South Carolina, nor that minority voters in Florida had been disenfranchised.

After 7 years of corruption, incompetence, and draconian measures the answer, for me at least, is quite clear. Though it took 6 years for most of the nation to see through the veil, something I find equally appalling but that's for another post (though I'm not even sure how that post would begin: "umm, thank you former pro-Bush'rs for realizing you made a colossal mistake"?!?!?). In any case, the Bush Admin is currently in the news for two major, tragic fiascoes.

The first is the widely reported and discussed firings of US Attorneys due to their views not being in line with the Bush Admin's. Not only does the utterly retarded Atty General, Alberto Gonzales, represent a corrupt and incompetent regime, he got the job in the first place because he's uber-loyal to Bush and Company. For those that are not familiar with "Fire-Gate" here's the cliff notes version (also check out Slate's coverage of the fiasco which was very, very early):
1. US Attys were fired, they claimed it was political.
2. AG and the Bush Admin said this was not the case.
3. Evidence (like emails which basically say, "Hey, how about we fire people that don't agree with us?") shows the firings were political.
4. AG and Bush Admin basically say, "Okay, maybe they were political, but no one at the top knew anything about it."
5. Evidence, in the form of AG's chief of staff testifying in front of Congress, shows that AG knew about everything and had meetings about the firings.

How the hell is Alberto Gonzales (AG) still in office? I mean this is beyond ludicrous. I really have no clue why AG is still around. And the worst part is that I don't want to be cynical and pessimistic, but it is so hard not to when a venal Attorney General should be fired and yet, absurdly, remains in office.

2008 cannot come any sooner.

6 comments:

sage said...

AMEN. It would have been a lot less of an issue if he would have been honest and said he fired them for political reasons and that he has the power to do that... Clinton's problem was that he was "under oath" when he talked about Monica. Bush has learned that you never "officially testify" so that you are free to change your story without being charged with perjury.

Diane said...

It takes some intelligence and integrity to admit a mistake - neither of which is a requirement for tenure in the Bush Administration

LA said...

V - You're too young to remember Iran-Contra and the hideous corruption and greed of Bush I, but on election night 2000 when the Florida election was in chaos and W sat surrounding by his family and reneged his concession on national live television, I knew something was rotten in Denmark. There was absolutely foul play in Jeb's state, and I was mortified when Bush II was sworn in. I knew it would be bad, and the thing I feared most was that he would fill the Supreme Court with arch conservatives (which he's done, and [diety of your choice] bless John Paul Stevens for hanging in there), but I never anticipated gas prices flirting with $4/gal, the recession that is just around the corner, and what's turned into an absolute debacle in Iraq. It's 10x worse than I anticipated, and I expected it to be very bad.

The only good news is that Americans are finally, FINALLY waking up.

NY KAT said...

I've personally NEVER been a Bush fan. Unfortunately, the Bush Admin has turned out government into a joke. I hate how he is constantly smirking when he is speaking!

The question we now face is, who the heck can get us out of this mess?

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I haven't been keeping up on the US Attorney Firings, mostly because I can't get enough of the Conrad Black trial and I've got my own hate-on for Canada's douchey PM, Stephen Harper. But yeah, things seem to be in quite a state in your neck of the woods, eh? I do remember my jaw dropping on election night 2004.

PixieGaf said...

I love and agree with everything you are saying keep on ranting V!