Saturday, April 14, 2007

Music Post Numero Dos

So I'm trying to get back into shape. The last year or so has been all over the map for me fitness wise. I started out in great shape (don't make me post the photographs! ... actually if I do post them I might just give up and cry ... okay probably not, but let's not risk it) only to slack off and fall back into the dreaded skinny-fat-guy body. I got back on track towards the end of last year and I'll actually be posting about it and my current exercise and diet regimen sometime in the near future.

But let's get back to this post, which is a Music Post, and for those of you scoring at home this is numero dos. So I'm still a bit lazy I'm gradually easing my way back into my running regimen. One aid has been music. And so here is my current playlist while running:

1. Beyonce - Irreplaceable
2. Katherine McPhee - Over It
3. Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
4. Kylie Minogue - Love at First Sight
5. JoJo - Too Little, Too Late
6. Pink - Just Like a Pill
7. Avril Lavigne - Keep Holding On
8. Akon - Don't Matter

I am not making this up. I must add that I haven't bought any of these tracks. And I also listen to other tracks that I have left out (like S-Mac, Indigo Girls, Dolores O'riordan, Tori Amos, etc) because then this post won't be as funny. Still, I think the above playlist says a lot about me:

1. I am either gay or a thirteen year-old girl.
2. My man has done me wrong!
3. One day I'm going to be an independent diva, just like Beyonce.

Seriously though, why does every female pop music artist have to have a song about how her man did her wrong? There's Beyonce, McPhee, JoJo, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, etc. I know men cheat. But every single man? And if someone gorgeous and rich, like Beyonce, can't find a good man, I guess no woman can.

(Uses deep voice) But girl, that's just plain wrong. Let me break it down (do people even say that anymore?) for y'all:

Dear Beyonce and fly honeys bootylicious ladies everywhere,

I know men are dogs. But I'm here to let you know that's not always true. I know it can be difficult to not get cynical and pass on love and looks for money (you knowles who you are), but that's not the way to happiness. Many guys are honest and decent --- aw girl, this is getting too personal ...

(Clears throat, choking back the sniffles) Remember JuJu, when we were young and in love? All the way back in the Y2K? Things were going so well. But then one night you said you had to leave me at home because the club was jumpin', jumpin'. And then something about ballers and pockets full grown --- aw girl why'd you do me like that?!?! Awwww, it hurt so bad girl, it hurt so bad!?!?!

Anyway, that was a long time ago. And I'm here to let you know I'm over it, they'll be no more crying in the rain. He may believe you, but I never will. Never again. It's just too little, too late. In the end, You must not know 'bout me.

THE END.

Good lord I hope someone finds this funny. This is my lame attempt at satire. Is it not a bit funny (if not ironic, disingenuous) that a pop singer is talking about being cheated on when years ago she had a song basically promoting cheating? Anyway, my lame attempt was funny when I hit the "publish" button, so it's not my fault. It must be a blogger error, or a translation problem.

And, yes, I know I need to get a life. I'm working on it.

PS - For some stellar music, head on over to Tori Amos' website and listen to three amazing songs from her new album.

11 comments:

Diane said...

v - you're awesome! the running/ exercise playlist on my iPod is a bit more macho - feel free to borrow it

Love will tear us apart - joy division
one - u2 and MJ blige
go with the flow - queens of the stone age
ball and chain - social distortion
hunger strike - hair of the dog
fell on black days - soundgarden
fast car - tracy chapman
all i want is you - u2
see me, feel me - the who
won't get fooled again - the who
love reign o'er me - the who
brilliant disguise - bruce springsteen
because the night (live)- bruce springsteen
clocks - coldplay
wake me up when september ends - green day
mad world - michael andrews (from donnie darko)
cecelia - simon and garfunkel
skin and bones - foo fighters
shiver - coldplay

sage said...

Okay, I've used your blog to keep up with TV, now you're teaching me about music. I know a lot more about Diane's music and if I had all that listed on my ipod, I might never listen to any books which is what I think ipods are for. Keep up the running!

LA said...

V - I wouldn't pick a single one of those songs myself, but whatever works for you is cool by me. Cheers!

LA said...

p.s. Have you done anything, V, on the pet acquisition front?

Ryan said...

OMG - That is the gayest playlist and I love it!

ffleur said...

It was funny V!
Spot on dude.

Um, as for your music list...*crickets*


Try some Metallica & Nickelback. Might be easier to run to.

Beyonce has been with the same guy forever. They are probably secretly married. But I guess its pop music and you gotta do the heartbreak, men are dogs thang.

NY KAT said...

My fav workout music is the Linkin Park and Jay-Z CD...Collison Course.

I'm not a Beyonce fan for some reason...i just can't stand listening to her music.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

You're playlist certainly had me cracking up! Although, I have to admit, I do have Nelly Furtado and Kylie Minogue all over my Youtube favourites. I'm not an Avril or Beyonce fan though.

I hope that if your man did do you wrong that you add some Gloria Gaynor and dance around to I Will Survive. :)

Princess in Galoshes said...

Ha! That is fun-nay. I just think every pop star having a song about how a dude done done her wrong is really just about cashing in on the mega music-buying machine that is heart-broken teenage girls.

v said...

I'm glad (and relieved) people found it funny. I don't listen to these songs as real music, okay maybe Love at First Sight, don't tell anyone!

But seriously, check out Tori Amos' new songs at her website. The 3 that are streaming are incredibly good.

Ryan said...

I just read this post again, and I still get a kick out of it! Thank you for making my day.

I have this song in my head at the moment. It is true perfection, shall I go out on a limb and consider it Shakespearean?

Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend."

[Chorus]
Hey hey, you you
I don't like your girlfriend
No way, no way
I think you need a new one
Hey hey, you you
I could be your girlfriend
Hey hey, you you
I know that you like me
No way, no way
I know it's not a secret
Hey hey, you you
I want to be your girlfriend

You're so fine
I want you mine
You're so delicious
I think about you all the time
You're so addictive
Don't you know what I can do to make you feel alright?
(feel alright, feel alright, feel alright)

Don't pretend I think you know I'm damn precious
And hell yeah I'm the motherfuckin' princess
I can tell you like me too and you know I'm right
(know I'm right, know I'm right, know I'm right)

She's like so whatever
You can do so much better
I think we should get together now
And that's what everyone's talking about

[Chorus]
Hey hey, you you
I don't like your girlfriend
No way, no way
I think you need a new one
Hey hey, you you
I could be your girlfriend
Hey hey, you you
I know that you like me
No way, no way
I know it's not a secret
Hey hey, you you
I want to be your girlfriend

I can see the way
I see the way you look at me
And even when you look away I know you think of me
I know you talk about me all the time again and again
(again and again, again, again)
So come over here and tell me what I want to hear
Better yet, make your girlfriend disappear
I don't wanna hear you say her name ever again
(and again and again and again)

'Cause she's like so whatever
And you could do so much better
I think we should get together now
And that's what everyone's talking about

[Chorus]
Hey hey, you you
I don't like your girlfriend
No way, no way
I think you need a new one
Hey hey, you you
I could be your girlfriend
Hey hey, you you
I know that you like me
No way, no way
I know it's not a secret
Hey hey, you you
I want to be your girlfriend

Oh
In a second you'll be wrapped around my finger
'Cause I can, 'cause I can do it better
There's no other, so when's it gonna sink in?
She's so stupid, what the hell were you thinkin'?

Oh
In a second you'll be wrapped around my finger
'Cause I can, 'cause I can do it better
There's no other, so when's it gonna sink in?
She's so stupid, what the hell were you thinkin'?

[Chorus]
Hey hey, you you
I don't like your girlfriend
No way, no way
I think you need a new one
Hey hey, you you
I could be your girlfriend
No way, no way
Hey hey, you you
I know that you like me
No way, no way
I know it's not a secret
Hey hey, you you
I want to be your girlfriend
No way, no way

Hey hey, you you
I don't like your girlfriend
No way, no way
I think you need a new one
Hey hey, you you
I could be your girlfriend
No way, no way
Hey hey, you you
I know that you like me
No way, no way
I know it's not a secret
Hey hey, you you
I want to be your girlfriend
No way, no way

Hey hey