Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Showmercial

I dislike advertising. I admit we do need advertising. Many companies make wonderful products and they need to advertise their wares. The problem is that mainstream advertising treats us (the public) with such disregard and callousness that print ads and tv commercials are not only annoying, but ultimately insulting.

I recently viewed an H2 Hummer commercial in which the vehicle's highway mileage ("20 MPG Highway") was flashed on screen. At a time when gas prices are near record highs and many of us are going to great lengths to curb CO2 emissions, it's a little insulting to flash the H2's MPG. As if we're dumb enough to think 20 MPG Highway suddenly turns the H2 into a Prius.

I must admit I do enjoy a few commercials. For example, the GEICO Cavemen ads. What can I say, I find them funny. The self-referential nature of the ads, the quirky humor, and the lightweight satire (of tv pundits, for instance) all add up to a pretty entertaining 30 seconds. But what about 30 minutes? As you may have heard, ABC will be debuting a half-hour sitcom called "CAVEMEN" in the fall. The sitcom is completely based on the GEICO ads. I doubt this is going to work, but the notion of the sitcom stemming from the tv commercial doesn't bother me so much. At least in this instance. From what I've read, GEICO seems to have nothing to do with the sitcom. So it won't be one long commercial for GEICO. In any case, whether it succeeds as a sitcom will not depend on its provenance but will depend on the talent associated with the show. Because a sitcom isn't funny and smart due to a clever idea for a sitcom, it's funny and smart because of the people who create it. So, if the people behind "CAVEMEN" are talented enough, it'll be funny. ABC has posted a 30 second clip from one of the shows. It's really not that funny, for me at least. But I'll withhold judgement until I see a complete episode. There is a bit of irony about the clip though. In the clip, as in the GEICO ads, the discussion the Cavemen have lightly touches on race/ethnicity* relations. Now I understand it is very difficult to talk about race/ethnicity* relations in general, doubly hard on a broadcast network. But it is a bit ironic that a network sitcom is broaching the subject by not actually talking about it since "Caveman" isn't a real ethnicity.*

I remember thinking tv was in major trouble several years ago when Dick Wolf (creator-producer of the "Law&Order" franchises) went into a multi-million product placement contract with Coke. Product placement has steadily crept into much of television and I think it is especially dangerous and egregious because it insidiously blurs the line between the artistic and the commercial. Though it would seem even product placement has its limits, the sponsor/advertiser doesn't get to shape the story and characters. Well they do now. The USA network recently debuted a 6-hour miniseries called "The Starter Wife" starring Debra Messing. The miniseries is "presented by Ponds" which actually turns out to mean Ponds had a lot of say into how the story and character would progress and how best to place their product into the miniseries. The Slate piece is rather fascinating and a good read. I understand that there is some relief in knowing this type of undue corporate influence is only finding its way into a third-rate mini-series that Lifetime probably rejected. But the problem is that people are watching "The Starter Wife" and they have no idea that Ponds went to great lengths to shape the entertainment with its products. It's something they deserve to be told.

* I must note that I do not believe in "race" as a term with any scientific merit. There's only the human race and the overlapping ethnicities that inhabit humanity. The term "race", as we use it in mainstream language is a social construct that is overly simplistic (therefore its wide use) and ancient. For more info please check out this wiki entry on race as social construction, and this excellent book by Dr. Spencer Wells, The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey and it's wonderful companion PBS documentary.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose it's really not surprising anymore. Interesting though.

Especially since so many I know (myself included) watch so much yv online or via dvr thus eliminating much advertising that comes in.

I hate to say it, but I am interested to see the show...what can I say, I'm a fan!

Diane said...

i actually like the Cavemen commercials too, so while I agree it will probably be lame, it still sounds better than most of the crap on tv. I just saw again a 30 Rock episode where Jack does a video for the NBC shows to encourage product placement . . . meanwhile the whole show is a plug for Snapple - it's pretty funny

The tv ads that bug me are for Rx drugs - shouldn't my doctor be making the determination as to what drugs may be appropriate for me?

And my last pet peeve on adverts are some of the impotency - err "ED" - drugs - again - isn't that something to be discussed between the man and his doctor? why do we have to be put thru the mating rituals of older men and their much younger wives?

GetFlix said...

Hey, I like the cavemen, too. Hopefully it will be funny.

LA said...

Arrgghh, I wrote a long comment and Blogger ate it!

Anyway, like many of you, I, too, like the Geico ads. Unfortunately, the clip I watched of the proposed sitcom (on TVGuide.com) looked bad. V, you are right, it will come down to talent. But I think the talent we need to be hopeful for is the writing talent. You can have the best actors in the world, but if the material sucks, the show will suck.

Diane - I think ED ads are men's answer/revenge on tampon and douche commercials.

Reality television is the worst offender when it comes to product placement.

ffleur said...

I really like the cute little lizard in the GEICO ads. Especially when he wore his tiny shower cap. A Brit accent will get me everytime.

Late at night I find myself watching "The Bullet" infomercials. Its interesting to note the people never eat the food/drinks prepared.

Jenny said...

The Geico Ad is brilliant advertising. The Network Exec. who decided to make it into a show is clearly looking at very empty story idea board. Uhm, I watched STARTER WIFE and for some odd reason purchased 20 jars of Ponds this morning on the way to work. Help?

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Ffleur: I love the Magic Bullet infomercial. I've probably seen it 20-30 times. I don't own one though, but I can't turn away when it plays on TV.

Cavemen doesn't interest me in the slightest, however I am the worst at choosing new shows. I'll probably decide not to watch it and then it will become a smash hit and everyone will tell me that I HAVE to because it's so excellent. Case in point: Heroes, Lost, Brothers and Sisters, Alias, etc, etc.

Jay said...

I seem to remember a particularly enthralling infomercial about a product called Bloussant. Other than that I'm with you.

Diane said...

la - true, but the ads for women's products aren't shown during prime time . . .

Ryan said...

I HATE THE CAVEMAN ADS! I have to switch the channel immediately when I see them. I also get annoyed at any and all pharmacuetical commericals. They piss me off.

Princess in Galoshes said...

You need to see this site, if you aren't already aware of it:

http://www.fuh2.com/

And be sure to check out the mosaic poster under "merchandise."