Tuesday, May 23, 2006

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (1945)

As a major film buff I've seen masterpieces from various decades and countries. I'm pretty content with my breadth of film experiences. On the other hand, I'm a literary novice who really needs to devour many of the classics. However, sometimes I'll view the film adaptation of the literary masterwork. Such is the case recently when I was able to catch THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.

This 1945 film is adapted from Oscar Wilde's only novel of the same name. The story tells the tale of one Dorian Gray who has his portrait made and turns to a life of debauchery and sin. As the years pass and the corruption and decay increase the portrait turns vile and disfigured while Dorian remains his youthful self, never aging. The film is solid and I highly recommend it. But I have to say that reading the book (which I haven't) will be more satisfying. I'm sure much of the detail of the book was lost during the transition to the screen. Nevertheless, the film was quite enjoyable. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of those who have read the book. I know I haven't gone into much detail, but I wonder for those who have read the book, do you think a film could do it justice?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Unknown said...

I have read the book and LOVED it, so I have to say I'm wary of seeing the movie. Apparently, it's not yet available on DVD, but it's saved on my netflix.

It's a rather short novel and easy to read, so definitely go out there and get it to see what you think of the comparison!