Wednesday, May 24, 2006

THE CONSTANT GARDNER (2005)

I just saw THE CONSTANT GARDENER and if you haven't seen this yet, run to blockbuster or head to netflix and get a hold of this film. It's that good.

Based on the John le Carre novel of the same name, the film follows a stolid, gregarious diplomat (Ralph Fiennes) and his impassioned, activist wife (Rachel Weisz) as they head to Kenya. Early on in the story the wife is murdered under suspicious circumstances (in more ways than one). I could dwell on the plot a bit more but this is the type of thriller that doesn't need any selling.

The acting is superb, especially Fiennes (who should've been nominated; at least a Golden Globe nom) and Weisz (who deservedly won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar). The supporting cast is stellar as well. The director, Fernando Meirelles, is the impresario that helmed CITY OF GOD. I haven't seen that film, but the praise he received for it is certainly worthy in my estimation. Meirelles and his cinematographer (Cesar Charlone) show us a lush and gorgeous African landscape. They jump into the heart of the lively, colorful slums and villages of Kenya. And at the same time, they do not shy away from the comfort afforded to the diplomatic corps. The script is effectively paced and will keep you at the edge of your seat. This is also an enchanting love story and the magnetism between Fiennes and Weisz jumps off the screen. I can't say enough good things about this film. Please go see it.

And for those of you who have seen the film (or read the book), this is what le Carre had to say about his tale: "...by comparison with the reality, my story was as tame as a holiday postcard."

11 comments:

GetFlix said...

Actually, thanks for the remind. I had forgotten about this gem and will add it to my DVD list.

sage said...

Thanks for the recommendation. This one wasn't even on my radar.

Anonymous said...

I loved that movie. We saw it a while ago, but I think maybe I'll re-see it now, so thanks for the reminder!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I loved this movie. I gave it an excellent review on my blog too. Ralph Fiennes was amazing. Rachel Weisz blew me away.

Great review!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Can I link to you? I don't have many other film blogs on mine.

v said...

Link away. I added your blog to my b-roll. And thanks for stopping by ... please don't be a stranger.

Virenda said...

I saw this on my InDemand and I've actually heard great things from a few that have watched it. So thanks V, I'll totally check it out tonight.

:0)

Kat said...

I saw it when it was in the theaters - and I have to say...I *hated* it. I too had heard marvelous reviews, and was really excited going into the theater. Unfortunately, I found that the film had too much going on. The flashback sequences didn't make sense, and the storyline was lost in all the confusion. I kept saying "Why?" - you have to stay on your toes and *thinking* - so make sure if you see the film, you are aware of that and can adjust.

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Unknown said...

I can't second your recommendation strongly enough. I saw this film over a year ago and was so affected by it and loved it so much.

Then last summer we went to Africa and I wanted to watch it again...for me it has now become a memory because there are so many real life elements in the film that I can completely relate to. It was true to the people, the country, the whole atmosphere.

I cried so much more the second time I watched it. It's difficult to watch, but so worthwhile.