Wednesday, May 17, 2006

TV Rec

So I've caught the last several episodes of the military drama The Unit. As someone who mainly watches PBS and the Daily Show (I can't forget to mention Mr. Colbert), The Unit is a pretty decent, entertaining hour-long drama. And it has made me refrain from the PBS for an hour on Tuesdays.

Anyway, as far as plot goes this show is hard to top. Every episode is packed with special ops mumbo jumbo, shootouts, espionage, foreign countries, war criminals, and the like. The Unit also shows the family side of the soldiers, specifically following the lives of the wives on the base. While this doesn't work as smoothly, it is by no means a deal-breaker. So it's a decent show that's suspenseful and action-packed.

So guess who the creators are? One of the creators is Shawn Ryan who also gave us The Shield, another interesting drama, this one revolving around an ethically neutral police detective (played by the Commish). Yes, that's not very surprising. Well, the other creator is David Mamet. That's right, David effing Mamet. Yeah, the Mamet has gone Mamet-lite in his entertaining, thin recent films, but I guess I was expecting a little more from The Unit when I read Mamet was a creator. Mamet and Ryan are executive producers and I haven't seen an episode in which either was the writer (or director) ... so maybe I've missed the Mamet-docious episodes or something.

Anyway, so what am I trying to say exactly? The Unit is a good show and if it piques your interest I'd definitely say check it out. But I'm still waiting for the Mamet-docious episodes.

3 comments:

GetFlix said...

Ahhhh, you've nailed it. The Unit rules super big time.

sage said...

Ok, for someone who is totally out of date as to TV shows, is the "unit" about the current war in Iraq?

Last night I watched the first half of TROY. It's almost as bad as I remember some of the reviews having it... I hope to finish it tonight and may get around to doing a review on it.

0000 said...

The "Unit" always makes me think of...oh...nevermind.