Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Outdoor Corner

Two lost hikers stumbled upon the remnant camp of a hiker who vanished over a year ago. The two young hikers were only out for a day hike when they wandered off the trail. They felt the trail was still nearby but were apparently lost. Their day hike turned into a three day ordeal filled with hunger and cold sleepless nights. By chance they discovered the camp of a vanished hiker and found a few handy supplies. The most important had to be the matches from which they could start a fire to keep warm, and ultimately a signal fire which rescued them. The article is a startling read and shows just how tenuous any hiking trip may turn out. Another reason to invest in some GPS technology as well as outdoors preparedness. And another reason I'm not the outdoorsy type.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Invest in matches.

0000 said...

Yikes!

Also...I FORGOT to catch the truthiness vids until they'd been removed from YouTube!!! :o(

Any chance you downloaded em?

Virenda said...

Yeah another reason to SHOP instead of hike. :0)

Actually I love Hiking and it's rather safe if you know, you DON'T wonder off the trail.

sage said...

I had not read the article, but several folks have told me about it and wanted to know if I'd seen it since I'm one of those crazy people that enjoy off-trail hiking which, before kids, was often done solo