Sunday, January 29, 2006

Film Rec

I'm not the biggest Joss Whedon fan ... I am a fan however. It's just that I never got into the Buffy-verse. A couple years back when Whedon's sci-fi show "Firefly" debuted on FOX I remember wanting to check it out but something might have come up. Anyway, I caught "Firefly" on DVD and the sci-fi channel. The show is an acquired taste but it definitely has a peculiar charm.

The same can be said of the film SERENITY based on the series. However the film has enough kinetic action sequences and stellar visual effects to keep even mild sci-fi fans interested. And the off beat humor works effortlessly well.

I'd still say that this, like much of Whedon's work, is not for everyone and he sure has a thing for teenage girls who can kick ass. At times the script gets a little hokey but all in all it makes for a rockin' adventure in the Firefly-verse with an excellent cast of actors (in my mind the hidden gem of the series and film).

[image from amazon.com]

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm on the sam wavelength with you on this one. The strength of the show and the movie are definitely the actors. The cursing in Chinese is pretty cool too.

I openly admit I was and still am a big fag for all things Buffy.

0000 said...

A couple of my girlfriends were diehard Buffy--er...buffs.

Often their conversations would go, "OMIGOD I can't believe the hellmouth is open!! And Xander was so cute!"

They have most of the seasons on DVD and I acctually started to get hooked one day.