Saturday, January 28, 2006

If no one comments on this post I'll get the hint

I'm a bit of a news junkie, so I like to think I keep up to date on most political issues and news. Now, I certainly understand posts of a political subject matter can be annoying, juvenile, tasteless, or all three. However, from time to time I would like to post about a political news item and see if we can get a decent discussion going. At the least, people can comment on how they feel about the issue.

I'm guessing the majority of blog buddies I've made here lean left (like myself). However, I am positive a couple lean right (I tend to lean right on economic issues and sometimes foreign affairs). I also think most consider themselves to be independents. As for me, I'm a registered Green Party voter in Northern California. Nevertheless, I am (like many people) all over the political map.

I read Slate a lot and think it is a journalistic goldmine. However, one of my favorite non-Slate columnists is economist Paul Krugman of the NY Times. In his most recent column he argues how our very own Veterans Health Administration (VHA) is a solid model on a basic healthcare system for all. He also points out the stark differences between the VHA and the recent Medicare drug bill. Which many point out was written with drug companies in mind. Recent news of the new drug bill not covering some Medicare and Medicaid recipients just adds to the legislation's bad rep. The federal government has said it will reimburse the states which are currently picking up the tab. Anyway, it's a good read and I would like to add that while Krugman is labeled a lefty (which I doubt he would deny) he is (like many of us) conservative when it comes to economic policy (balanced budgets, lower the trade deficeit, etc).

4 comments:

sage said...

Go ahead and publish them. I don't do too many "straight" political pieces, preferring to write an occassional satire or parody under the name Nevada Jack. And I notice that those pieces get fewer comments than other stuff I write.

I thought I'd commented on your Eron piece, but didn't. I'd forgotten that trial was coming up and it should be interested. Thanks for that reminder.

Anonymous said...

Most Americans are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Don't ask me how Bush got elected, but he did.

Keep posting political stuff, some of my blog's political posts usually get the most comments on them.

Plus, I think there is sort of a climate in America lately that suggests that people shouldn't talk about politics. I think that is dangerous.

After the election I was in the grocery store talking to a fellow "lefty". And this man kept hovering around the two of us, we kept trying to move out of his way. And finally he mustered up the confidence to say, "The election's over folks."

One of my proudest moments in life was my shooting back at him, "It is still a free country and we can talk about whatever we want to."

He said, "You're right." And walked away.

0000 said...

V, I bought a fantastic book this weekend called Freakonomics by Steven Levitt. I am acctually going to post about it today. Seeing your interest in socio-political issues, you should take a gander at the book!

PS. My grandma is some kind of chairman in the Green party on her city counsel board. But she lives in the south of France so I don't know if the Green party is homogenous all around.

v said...

Yeah, I've heard and read a little about Steven Levitt and his book because he's written a couple pieces for Slate (which I read religiously).

Also, I took an economics of crime course and Levitt's famous/controversial paper on abortion was a hot topic.

After this comment I'm going to check out your Freakonomics post.

Also, your grammy is my new hero! Yeah, I'm not sure if the Green Parties in Europe are one party and if they are connected to the Green Party here and in other nations/continents.