Friday, January 05, 2007

Before I forget ...

As an avid viewer of PBS I'm hardly surprised to find a hidden gem in their programming. One such gem aired on PBS' Independent Lens program, which showcases excellent independent films and videos of every genre and duration.

The gem I'm talking about is called "MY LIFE ... DISORIENTED" and its a refreshing, well-written, and well-acted dramedy of about 30 minutes or so. It deals with the high school and family life of an anxious and memorable Asian-American teenager. There's a complete synopsis on the website. I'll admit that initially I wasn't expecting much, thinking this would be some half-assed ABC after-school special meets the OC. But I was pleasantly surprised to not only thoroughly enjoy it, but to fondly and not so fondly empathize with the high schooler as she navigated her way through a new school and a new stage in her family life.

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure how others can view it. They have clips on YouTube or the website, but if it's not the entire thing it probably isn't worth it. They also have a schedule of when it will air on local PBS stations, but I believe most of those airings were in December. But it is still worth checking out the schedule. And then try checking out the Independent Lens schedule for when they'll be repeating the particular broadcast.

If you do get a chance to view it, I highly recommend it. It is truly worthwhile and you will no doubt enjoy it, all the more so if you remember high school.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Oh, I think we all remember high school! I'll look for it

PixieGaf said...

I wish I would have stopped to watch this show when it popped up while I was channel surfing. Somehow it just did not catch my eye.

Leigh said...

Looks good. I'll have to check it out. Sadly, cannot forget high school!

Hope this finds you well!

xo, Leigh