Thursday, January 11, 2007

Who's Ready For Some Football?

If you're a football fan you've probably viewed some stellar games the last two weeks. The Boise State vs OU game was simply spectacular. And then the Florida Gators stridently upset "The" Ohio State Buckeyes. The "the" always cracks me up.

And in the NFL there were some solid playoff matchups. The Cowboys unluckily lost to the Seahawks when Romo botched the hold. And he almost ran it in for the W but was stopped short by a great open field tackle. The other NFC game was also close as the Eagles outbattled the Giants. This weekend's games seem to hold even more intrigue and a whole lot of fans will definitely be watching. And even though no one cares, here are my predictions. I like Drew Brees. I like Deuce. I like Reggie Bush. I like that other Saints rookie Colston. So I'm definitely rooting for the Saints, but I must admit that Westbrook has been impressive and it will be close. Nevertheless, Saints over Eagles. The other Saturday game, Indy vs Balt, is one in which I have no clue as to who will win. If I had to guess I would go with the Ravens, but the Indy offense may be good enough to pull off the win. On Sunday, I'm rooting for the Chargers (with the game's best player, LT) over the Pats, but I am well aware that it is not very smart to bet against Belichick, Brady, and the rest of the Pats. I think all of Football America is really excited for these 3 games. I'm not so sure about the 4th, Seattle vs Chicago. Seattle is lucky to have made it this far and Chicago's QB (therefore offensive) problems have reached epic proportions. I am curious to see what happens, and perhaps this will turn out to be a stellar battle. Though I wouldn't bet on it and I have no clue who will win ... the refs? maybe it will end in a tie? In any case, this weekend seems to be a great one, for the most part, for football.

8 comments:

sage said...

as a Steeler fan, it ain't much of a season, and now the coach is throwing in the towel.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I wish I could take part in this discussion, but alas, I have no idea what you are talking about. But, like I do with most sports I don't follow/watch, I just pick a team and follow it until the season is over. So, here is my prediction:

The Chargers will take it all!

Place your bets people.

Diane said...

mishy - good choice! The Chargers are my team, and I can't believe the great season they have had, lead by the classiest guy in the NFL - LT.

v - I agree with your assessment of this weekend's games - I think the winners will be NO, Chicago (and I agree this is the weakest game), Baltimore and SD - I'd like to see SD and NO in the Super Bowl, but wouldn't mind the Eagles for the NFC.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Diane: Wow, they are actually a good team? I just went through v's post and found a team that sounded like winners to me.

What city are they from? (Seriously... I'm too lazy to google it and my brain isn't putting it together.)

Princess in Galoshes said...

You and The Funasaurus would get along great. All I hear is "blah blah blah football blah blah blah touchdown blah."

...

Though I did love the little Boise Bronco's guy proposing to his girlfriend after THAT game.

Diane said...

mishy - they are from beeyooteeful San Diego - they are so cal's only football team since the Raiders and Rams left town in the 90s! And if you want to impress your friends with some SD trivia . . . .

New Orleans quarterback, Drew Brees, was let go by the Chargers after last season, and they started Phillip Rivers instead - a young QB who has played better than expected - letting Brees go really turned out best for both teams

The Chargers running back, LaDainian Tomplinson set a record this year for most touchdowns in a season

There fight song is "San Diego - Super Chargers" and it is 70s kitschy!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Diane, you had me at 70's kitch!

Ryan said...

After my Cowboys screwed up last weekend I had decided to root for the Chargers and the Seahawks. Well look where that got me and the teams. The losers lounge!