Saturday, January 27, 2007

Slate rundown and Football!

So I used to, how do I put this, not be the biggest fan of Slate's previous Film and TV reviewers (David Edelstein and Virginia Heffernan, respectively). But I am on board with the current twosome, Dana Stevens and Troy Patterson (especially Stevens). Currently, Stevens has a solid review denouncing the pseudo-Tarantino lemming that is SMOKIN' ACES. I haven't seen this movie, but if you're looking for a second opinion I'd suggest Jonathan Rosenbaum's capsule review which is even more strident. I understand a certain segment of the population (dumb kids, usually male though, surprisingly, of all ages) enjoys amoral, nihilistic, insipid, ultraviolent shoot-em-ups injected with explosions (and that Jerry Bruckheimer owes his mansion, jet, diamond encrusted diamonds, etc to this segment). But I'm sorry, it doesn't make these empty exercises in camerawork, editing, and pyrotechnics any good or worthwhile.

I'm a big fan of THE OFFICE but recently I might even say that I'm a bigger fan of 30 ROCK. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin head up a high-larious cast and the show's writing is crisp and witty. The show effortlessly tackles everything from the absurdity of corporate "synergy" product placement to the absurdity that is Liz Lemon's on-and-off again romance with the Beeper King. And the show brings about funny line after funny line in everything it tackles. In any case, Slate's TV reviewer (Patterson) seems to agree and has a nice review of 30 ROCK, placing the very, very talented Tina Fey front and center.

And now for some football. I'm sure everyone is gearing up for the Super Bowl. I think it will be a solid game though I'm not sure it will be as competitive as the Colts/Pats AFC championship. I'll have a prediction some time next week. But I just want to type a few words in defense of the Saints. Last week I thought the Saints would beat the Bears, and the reality of the game resulted in a blowout by the Bears. However, if you look at the the turnover discrepancy (4 to 0 in favor of the Bears) you'll see how the game turned strongly in favor for the Bears. And only 1 turnover was a Drew Brees interception, and it was late in the game when the tide had already turned. The 3 back breaking turnovers were fumbles. Which is a bit lucky, but also goes to show how tough this Chicago defense really is. I'm not sure the Bears can do the same in the Super Bowl, but that is definitely a path they should be focusing on.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I'll check out Slate's reviewers, but I definitely agree about 30 Rock - - it has become a real must-see for me. Tina Fey is great, and Baldwin is a surprising delight - I also like Tracy Morgan and the blond chick . . .

sage said...

Go Bears!

LA said...

I love The Office and Scrubs. I've never seen 30 Rock because of my Grey's Anatomy addiction.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm the same as LA. 30 Rock just isn't compatible with Grey's Anatomy. I'll probably end up renting the DVDs when it comes out.