Saturday, January 20, 2007

WATCHMEN

I finished reading Alan Moore's WATCHMEN (illustrated by Dave Gibbons) a week or more ago. I've waited a short time before posting a review because this graphic novel is the type of fiction that stays with you long after you've finished reading it. It is a powerful, insightful, thoroughly entertaining work of fiction. If the thought of a gritty, noirish, retelling of the Superheroes story set in an alternative Cold War USA is the type of story that catches your interest, then WATCHMEN is definitely for you. But even if you find this to be a little too comic-booky (or geeky), WATCHMEN is still the type of fiction that will engage and move you. And that's because the book is a tour de force.

One of the reasons I read WATCHMEN is because I wanted to experience the genre of graphic novels. I think graphic novels are a wonderful medium. Especially because I feel they inhabit a space between moving pictures (film, tv) and the written word. The cinematic quality of graphic novels is something I find thoroughly appealing. And WATCHMEN certainly does not disappoint in this regard. In fact, WATCHMEN is known for its amazing pictorials, filled with great detail, superb action, and interesting motifs. The WATCHMEN is also known for its insightful, complex, tense, and dramatic story and plot. In other words, as far as graphic novels go, WATCHMEN definitely takes the medium to striking heights.

I simply cannot say enough good things about WATCHMEN. I'd highly, highly recommend reading about this wonderful graphic novel and for those even slightly interested, run out and buy it immediately. It is simply a captivating read.

3 comments:

anne said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I am all over that!

Diane said...

wow - I'll check it out

PixieGaf said...

Thanks for the great review V I am deffenitly checking it out.