Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy MLK Day!

I hope everyone had a wonderful MLK Day!

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr is a very special person in my book. He fought for equality and justice and the good of society. He gave his life to the struggle. But not before his words and teachings were indelibly sorched into the world. So that future generations would never forget the struggle and would always be able to learn of one man's dream of a better tomorrow. Unfortunately, sometimes that tomorrow seems ages away. But I hope, one day soon, that we wake up to that tomorrow.

Today there was a rare display of his papers and a couple corporate donations to the National Mall MLK memorial. I think this memorial should have been constructed years ago. MLK is without a doubt one of the most important figures of recent US (and world) history. To not have a prominent memorial for him in DC, next to Jefferson and Lincoln, is almost shameful.

To end, for those looking for some absolutely amazing pictures of MLK and the civil rights movement check out Slate's Today's Pictures section.

6 comments:

PixieGaf said...

Those are some incredible pictures. He was an amazing man if only there were more people like him today the wold would be a better place.

Diane said...

one thing I have really come to appreciate from blogging is how aware you and pixie and mishy are, and I admire that you all have opened your eyes so wide at an age where many folks are still just looking for the next bong hit - my hat is off to all of you

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Mmmmmmm... bong hits. Just kidding, Diane. :)

Those photos are great. I hadn't seen most of them.

sage said...

Those Slate photos are interesting. I highly recommend Taylor Branch's works on King.

PixieGaf said...

Diane thanks! I think education is key to developing a wider percpective on things.

Jay said...

He would have been in his mid 70's if he were still alive today, and it makes me realize what a waste it was to lose him so early. With his influence, there very likely would have never been a White Chicks or Big Momma's House 2.