Friday, February 02, 2007

I'm ready for the Super Bowl

So the big game is in two days and I'm ready to see a good game. I'm rooting for both teams though leaning towards the Colts because of Manning, Harrison, Dungy, Saturday, Sanders, Freeney and simply the remarkable transformation of the defense in the postseason. There's also my crude football brain which says the AFC should crush the NFC, and that the Bears don't have enough consistent offense to win. But it seems that everyone feels the Colts will win and by a touchdown or two (or three). This overlooking of the Bears may turn into Chicago's advantage. And I definitely think, as someone who is a bit suspicious of popular (mob) opinion, that this means the Bears will give the Colts somewhat of a fight with their tough defense. But in the end I don't see the Bears offense scoring enough points. So here's my prediction: Colts over Bears, 24 to 20.

Since it is Super Sunday, there's the yearly onslaught of Super Bowl commercials. I'm not sure if those of you in Canada (Mishy and Ffleur) witness the hype that surrounds these commercials but it is almost as instense as the hype for the game. And this is something I really do not understand. Well, I can understand it. We, the US, are an unabashedly, perhaps problematically commercial and material culture. Let's face it, we buy things ... and then we buy some more stuff. But this is also why many of us are in debt. Though I understand coporate power and our politicians have had a large hand in keeping wages down (or stagnant), increasing income/wealth inequality, and destroying labor rights ... all of which results in lower purchase power which leads to amassing debt. Now I also realize that many of these commercials are funny and entertaining. But for us, as a society, to build up such a frenzy over commercials, 60 second videos trying to sell unhealthy food or an inflated corporate image, is a bit absurd. I mean I have no other way to say it but "hey, people!?!? it's just commercials!??!?" Now, I understand non-football fans might say something similar about getting into a trance or frenzy over a football game. But I must mention that the football players this Sunday are not trying to sell you anything. They're playing a game of physical prowess, mental acumen, and clashing wills at the highest level. And even if no one was watching, most of these players would still be playing this game. And yes, in the end it is just a game. But I guess in the end the Nutcracker is just a dance, and Mozart's Symphony No. 40 is just a song. Here's to a good game.

15 comments:

M-M-M-Mishy said...

The greatest thing about the superbowl? Football is over! Just kidding, actually the greatest thing about the superbowl is that for that Sunday, I can go shopping at the Eaton Centre and the mall is almost always empty. Because it's just a game, but shopping without crowds is nothing short of miraculous.

sage said...

I'm sorry the Steelers aren't in again this year, and I'm going to root for Da Bears! Interesting take on the commericals. If the wind stops blowing (it's really picked up in the past hour or so) I might skip part of the game to ski!

Diane said...

And I'm sorry the Chargers aren't in . . . I think you are giving today's players too much credit "for the love of the game" - they are trying to sell themselves and the NFL so that more of us will buy tickets and watch the games on TV, so that the owners make more money, which they can pass on in even more outrageous salaries. This isn't true of all players - I'd say Peyton loves the game, and Eli plays for his largely unearned salary . . . it's not hard to figure out which side of that equation T.O. and most of the Raiders fall on . . .

Mike Ditka and other former (and current) players are involved in an online auction this weekend to raise money for older players who are not getting by on de minimis pensions and with serious health problems related to their playing days - check it out at www.jerrykramer.com

All this griping aside, I remain a huge NFL fan, I won about $600 this year in the local football pool, and I will be drawn to the game despite myself . . . Go Bears!

Princess in Galoshes said...

Game? There's a game this weekend?

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Oh, but I will be watching Prince play the halftime show because he's super sexy.

GetFlix said...

I would really enjoy seeing the Bears win.

Jay said...

I had a great time during the game. The store was so empty I had my pick of all the samples.

Terrible lie said...

Well I guess you leaned far enough
Poor,Poor Grossman... Can't win the Superbowl on defence alone...

Terrible lie said...

And I am sorry the Steelers didn't make it either... Sad Sad story...

v said...

I too am sad the Steelers didn't make it. But they did win last year. And I am happy the Colts did win.

LA said...

I loved Prince, and I thought the best ad was the Letterman/Oprah one.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Hey V:

Where have you been lately? Busy and such with school, probably. Anyway, just checking in. Have you heard anything on your law school applications?

Mishy!

v said...

Hey Mishy, thanks for the kind note. Yeah, I've been a little busy, but I definitely should be posting at least twice a week instead of this once a week stuff. Plus, even if I can't post or think of something to post I should visit everyone's blogs more frequently, because it brings me such joy. It's just that I feel if I visit and comment on another's blog I should update my own blog so people can read something new and leave a new comment. Maybe that sounds a little weird, but it is the truth, lol.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Aw, you have blog guilt! I get that sometimes, but don't worry about it. It's your blog so post when you want. I was just checking in.

Later gator.

Anonymous said...

The equipage of a auto rat on positively depends upon the size and lineage of profession it has to do. There are rare sizes of machines of the changeless congenial as a service to machining assorted sizes of castings and forgings, also there are many kinds of machines in the direction of doing the very accommodating of loosen in barmy grades of refinement. An economic consideration is to bear as occasional machines as doable to do as terrible a spread of manoeuvre as believable, and this is most successfully perfect alongside choosing high-grade machines which are not but adapted to species of space for,
http://www.2uh.pl/?action=premium&id=23
http://awton.konskowola.pl/biznes-i-finanse/4003/
http://wolomin.biz.pl/fer-marek-bienias-meble-sklepowe-s748.html
http://top-link.pl/biznes,i,ekonomia/lady,sklepowe,s,5709/
http://nyseath.konskowola.pl/?p=4304

http://eara.pruszkow.pl/spolka/917/
http://sanlux.pl/firmy,wg,branz/fer,marek,bienias,regaly,metalowe,s,2193/
http://acy.pl/firmy/fer24,com,pl,s,13743/
http://www.2uh.pl/docieplenia-stropodachow-wp189/
http://sozipe.kalisz.pl/spolka/4663/