Thursday, February 15, 2007

Slate Rundown

As you most likely know, I enjoy reading Slate from time to time. Okay, perhaps that is an understatement. In any case, Slate has something engaging and interesting for almost everyone.

Everyone wants to lose fat (well, except those who are already toned). And we do this by burning more calories than we use. One way is to increase our calorie burn by exercising more. And while that works, the more direct way (and, optimally we need to do both) is to cut back on the calories we take in. It depends on the person, but the first step is to cut back to under 2000 calories, and then progress lower until you see the fat loss you desire. Of course, once you have the desired fat loss, you can return to higher calories and simply maintain weight. However, new data says that cutting down to 1500 calories greatly increases life. Not sure how many of us want to live to 120, but Emily Yoffe tried to stay on a 1500 calorie diet in her column and as always, she writes a very entertaining and informative piece.

Slate's lovely film critic, Dana Stevens, has a couple fun reviews on two recent flicks aimed at the ladies. First she asks why Diane "freakin'" Keaton cannot find better roles. Then she waxes lovey-dovey for the pleasant surprise that is the Drew-Hugh rom-com. And check out Slate's Road to the Oscars coverage, especially the Hollywoodland column which always has something interesting to write about.

The world lost a wonderful, funny, witty writer in the passing of Molly Ivins. I know her from reading and hearing some of her biting political thoughts. She was a Texas liberal, so she knew her way around a political scuffle or three. Slate's Dahlia Lithwick, another writer I admire, has a moving obit for Ivins. Here's a great line from it: Ivins' bag of comedic tricks included the perfect metaphor: "Being Canadian" was "like living next door to the Simpsons"; being "attacked by Rush Limbaugh on the air" was like "being gummed by a newt. It doesn't actually hurt but it leaves you with slimy stuff on your ankle."

8 comments:

PixieGaf said...

There was a documentary about living longer on PBS a few weeks ago and they pretty much said the same thing about cutting back on daily caloric intake.

Although I do have to point out the scientist who was stressing the importance of lowering caloric intake admited he tried doing so and failed miserably.

GetFlix said...

V, another great source for commentary is:
www.etherzone.com although www.salon.com also rocks!!

Diane said...

v - great post, and thanks for the links to some fine articles. I need to add Slate to my daily reading lists - have you listened to any of their iTunes free podcasts?

v said...

Pix - I think I saw that PBS show as well. I think it was one of three science shows PBS presented and then let's the audience decide which will be back for a full season (by voting online).

Getflix - I like Salon as well. I will have to check out Etherzone. Thanks for the tip.

Diane - I don't think I have listened to any of their podcasts, but maybe I have tried one or two. You know, just out of podcast curiousity. I'm still a little unsure of podcasts, I guess I'm a radio in the car type person. PS - You can listen to their podcasts on the website as well (I think).

LA said...

Good post, V. Lots of good reading through your links, too.

I listen to podcasts straight off iTunes. There are some really good ones. I also often download the free single of the week, and I've found a lot of interesting artists that way.

Long live iTunes!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

How many calories do you burn by counting calories?

GetFlix said...

I'll second that. iTunes rocks!!

sage said...

Thanks for the Slate link to Molly Ivins obit. I miss her already, what a spunky woman!