Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Short Break

I'll be taking a short break from blogging due to school and some other stuff. But I wanted to thank everyone (the blog buddies/neighbors) for visiting/commenting, and for allowing me to enjoy and share a small part of your lives by reading your wonderful blogs.

I would also like to end this post with four of my favorite films. Here they are in alphabetical order.

Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001)

This is an absolutely touching and heartbreaking masterpiece. I've seen many of Spielberg's films and, in my opinion, this one is head and shoulders above the others (which are pretty good). I think some (if not much) of this had to do with the film being a collaboration with Stanley Kubrick.

Blade Runner (1982)

I guess I kinda like sci-fi. This amazing sci-fi action thriller is still visually engrossing after all these years. However it is much more than a superb action flick, dealing with eternal, in-depth themes like the confrontation and intersection of man and machine.

Dr. Strangelove (1964)

A brilliantly absurd satire of the military-political construct. It is still hilarious, as well as sharp. Plus it is a Kubrick film.

Sansho the Bailiff (1954)

A work of pure art that is both beautiful and sad. This is a masterwork of the utmost quality by the Japanese master Kenji Mizoguchi. Beware, it will break your heart.

8 comments:

Ryan said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the first three movies on your list. You have great taste in film and literature.

Why can't I find a man like you... he needs to be a Mo though.

Is it wrong that I really only like AI due to the hotness that is Jude Law. He is like sex personified in that movie. FTW happened to him as of late, he is tre gross.

Don't stay gone too long! I look forward to your thoughts and reviews.

LA said...

I'll miss you, V. Looking forward to your return!

PixieGaf said...

V I'll miss you too!

norm said...

Norm thinks a break can be good.

Diane said...

Come back soon! I don't know the last film, but will check it out - I liked the first 3/4 of AI, but thought it went on way too long and somewhat aimlessly . . . and I also thought Jude Law was sex on a stick in that movie!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I guess breaks are ok. But you should know that I believe school is a waste of time. Blogging is where it's at man. Blogging is what will get you places.

Just kidding, how goes the school applications? I just got my last one out today (deadline March 1st to get it in, so I'm cutting it close), so now comes the waiting part. But because I busted my ass on getting my applications out, I'm treating myself to a shopping day tomorrow.

I enjoyed AI, but also thought it was about 18 hours too long. My god, I saw it in the theatre and it just about killed me. But yes, Jude Law was quite the hot little robot in it. You know, before he slept around on his robot wife with the younger robot actress. Then when he slept around on the younger robot actress with the robot nanny, I was fully turned off. Robots, man. Can't keep it in their pants.

I have a hard time watching Kubrick films but I did enjoy Full Metal Jacket. "What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?"

Ok, happy break!

v said...

Ryan, LA, Pix, Norm, Diane - Thank you so much for the kind words! I don't think I could stay away from blogging too long. Plus I can't stop visiting all your wonderful blogs. Then I get blog post guilt, lol.

Mish - I'm so glad to hear you got all your applications taken care of. You should definitely treat yourself to a day or three of shopping.

sage said...

Dr, Strangelove is one of my favorite movies. I'll have to watch Sansho.