Saturday, February 10, 2007

LEGALLY BLONDE (2001)

I really don't know what to make of LEGALLY BLONDE (2001). This comedic chick flick (is it okay to call it that ladies?) starring the aptly cast Reese Witherspoon came on cable the other day and, let's keep this between us, I watched it. One of the reasons I sat through it was because of this semi-rave from Lisa Alspector (a former film critic at the Chicago Reader). I've mentioned the Chicago Reader's film section a few times and that's because I'm a big fan of their main critic (Jonathan Rosenbaum). But I also like their other critics though Alspector was a bit quirky, or tough to decipher. I remember, at first, disliking her capsule reviews because while they were packed with great detail and info, it was a bit ambiguous whether or not she panned or recommended the film. But then I began to respect her capsule reviews and conclude that she most likely felt the reader could determine if the film was for them or not. And she was a bit more emphatic in her raves.

One of which is LEGALLY BLONDE (I think, lol). I must say I enjoyed the movie and found parts of it quite hilarious. On the other hand, the story and (mainly) the plot were at times down right, for lack of a better term, incredibly dumb. The defense case Witherspoon's character works on in the final act is not only strangely dumbed down, but also a bit glib. And I would say the same about the ultra happy ending. But I can see how this movie is a crowd pleaser and while I may not be as emphatic about it as Alspector, I'd recommend it to people who were already interested in it (yes, a truly robust recommendation). The movie's messages of Rocky-like persistance and triumph, and of not judging a book by its cover no matter how shiny, are great morals and fun to watch. That Witherspoon's Elle Woods chooses what is important to her over the paternalistic stereotype of holding on to a selfish Ken doll is also fun to watch. And while this is only pop feminism (or simply a semblance of it) it will definitely give you a good chuckle or three; it's not a bad way to spend a lazy afternoon.

9 comments:

PixieGaf said...

Great Review V!
I give this movie a C+ there is not much substance but it is entertaining.

sage said...

I've only seen part of it--but don't think I'll go back and watch it all. There were some funny parts, but I don't remember them so it didn't make much of an impression.

Diane said...

I think I actually saw it on a plane, but was pleasantly surprised. I previously found Reese sort of off-putting after Election, which I thought was probably close to her actual personality, but thought she added quite a bit of fun to Blond

GetFlix said...

I can't remember a thing about it. I think I was glad when it was over.

Ryan said...

This movie was a hot mess. Needless to say I enjoyed it. I love me some Victor Garbor and Jennifer Collidge.

LA said...

I know how you feel. I just watched cult classic Office Space and was totally underwhelmed.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I may or may not own the Legally Blonde DVD. It may or may not come in a neon pink DVD case. This is all the information I feel comfortable giving out at this time.

Bend... and snap!

Leigh said...

Loved the movie until people started calling me Elle Woods during law school. Cute on screen; slightly insulting as a law student.

She does persevere and triumph in the end though...and I have passed two bar exams on the first try...

Okay, nevermind. Bend and snap!

v said...

I like how this movie evokes many responses. Yes, it is silly, but also cute. And while some of us bored of the silly, cute girl power quickly, others enjoyed it to no end. Bend and snap, indeed.