Saturday, March 10, 2007

For the Birds

I've been feeding the local wild birds by leaving bird seed and pieces of bread in the backyard. They're definitely not pets but maybe this is something like what a pet chicken would be like, though probably not since chickens can't fly away and are a bit more sociable (at least the internets say so). But it is a tad bit entertaining watching the various wild birds, especially their behavior to feeding and each other. I'm not sure if this is what bird watching is about (I'm guessing bird watchers trek into the wild to observe rarer birds, in their natural habitat), but, for me, it's fun to check out the birds ... for like 5 minutes.

If you're not already bored with this post you soon will be. But I do have some photographs so hopefully that will help.

We have a good deal of crows around here. I think they're American Crows but I really have no clue. The wiki article says they're quite intelligent and I'd have to agree. They're the first to arrive and kind of Bogart the area calling their friends. They prefer the bread pieces and will try to take as many pieces as they can fit in their beaks (3 to 5 from what I've noticed), not worrying if a piece falls as they fly to their eating area. And while it seems they tend to keep other birds away, it's only when it comes to the bread pieces. I spread out the food and so when the smaller birds come to feed on the bird seed (which is a bit apart from the bread pieces), the crows don't make much of a bother.

The smaller birds are fun to watch as they are a bit timid compared to the crows. They perch on the bare pare tree and wait until ready to drop down and peck at seed. I don't know what types of birds they are, and I think there's more than one type. Though in these photographs I just have a group of one type, the most common small birds. Hopefully someone might know what bird family they belong to?




Recently some medium sized birds have joined the party. I have no clue what kind of birds they are, and so I refer to them with the scientific "medium sized" moniker. Anyway, they also prefer the bird seed. But they're far more comfortable, pecking away with almost disregard. After they're full (I'm guessing) or there's no more seed, they perch on the back fence as if they're relaxing on the porch before their next meal.




If anyone can help identify these birds, that would be great.

The bread pieces and bird seed are only on the weekends and maybe another day. I don't want the wild birds to become depedent, though a wild bird website said the only worry is a waste of energy if they expect it on certain days but even then it is only harmful in areas of truly cold weather. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. The last thing I want to do is harm these wild birds.

So that's my bird post. Thanks for making it to the end.

10 comments:

GetFlix said...

I don't think feeding the birds will harm them. They're in a warm urban area, and most likely find all kinds of stuff to eat.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Hey v!

Ok, I'm not much of a bird person, however I think I might be able to help you out with the birds in your photos. While I don't know exactly what type they are, I do know what types they are not. I know they are not:

*Big Birds
*Tweety Birds
*Birdie the Early Birds

Also, they are not vicious enough to be from the Hitchcock movie "The Birds", not folk-pop-rocky enough to be any of "The Byrds" and not baked in a pie enough to be Four and Twenty Blackbirds.

Hope I helped you out, dude! I'm full of useful information. Oh, and Diane might know. She's posted on her blog some of her birdwatching pictures.

LA said...

They're not blue jays, cardinals or robins.

I think your little birds are sparrows. The medium ones look like they are in the pigeon family. Mish is right, no sign of Roger McGuinn or jangly guitars, so you can safely rule out Byrds.

I love your interest in animals. I'm thinking it's cool to feed them.

BTW, I made it to the end!

Diane said...

I love watching and listening to the birds at my bird feeder!

I would say the little ones are sparrows, and the medium birds are mourning doves . . .

Crows are very, very smart. And in my experience, the doves are very, very dumb . . .

sage said...

I think those in the picture are of the wren family.

I love having feeders near windows. I have three that are high enough and just outside the window, giving great views of various kinds of birds. Changing your feed will attract different birds.

Keep feeding the birds. It's a good thing to do and they're wonderful to watch.

Unknown said...

I would concur with the sparrow/dove guess. That is what they look like to me also...

I wish I had a spot I could feed birds, my kitties love watching them and it's always entertaining to hear them 'chatter' at the birds. But alas, I have practically no yard and no place to hang a feeder...or at least not in a good spot for the kitties to also watch the feeder from inside.

ffleur said...

I made it!
I made it!

tweet tweet!

Princess in Galoshes said...

I know nothing about birds. But I doubt you're doing any harm by feeding them. Maybe I should purchase some bird seed, I bet it'd be like Reality TV for my cats!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Any bird updates, V?

v said...

Getflix - Thanks man, I was a bit worried about feeding them, especially since the various internet websites on feeding wild birds each have a different answer.

Mish - You are a bundle of useful, cheerful, charming information. And, unfortunately, my next bird update will be some time from now.

LA - Oh yeah, sparrows. I actually had no idea sparrows are the small birds. But thanks to you and wikipedia, I now know that they are (most probably) sparrows. I think they might be the House or Old World type. And I think I've seen a couple jays and robins, but I'm not sure.

Diane - Yeah, you and LA are right, they are sparrows. And I'm pretty sure you are right about the medium birds being mourning doves. The wiki entry looks just like them. And you are definitely right in characterising the crows as very smart while the doves being less so. Though here I was thinking the doves were just friendlier and more comfortable with the ambiance of my backyard.

Sage - Feeders right outside the window must make for wonderful bird watching. And I'm guessing having them high helps keep the very clever squirrels from getting to it.

Anne - Yeah, you know your birds too, sparrow and dove. And I'm sure your kitties are kind and peaceful, but wouldn't they want to harm or eat the wild birds? Seeing as how cats and birds aren't the best of friends?

Ffleur - Thanks for being a trooper and making it to the end!

Princess G - Yeah, I guess it might be like Reality TV for them. And maybe afterwards they'd call Anne's cats and say how the Simon bird is fat and likes to wear tight shirts. Lol, that's the best I could do.