Thursday, March 01, 2007

I'm back.

So that was my break. One whole week. There's no way I can stay away from blogger. I have to admit I really, truly enjoy blogging ... especially visiting and sharing in everyone's wonderful blogs. And I've decided I am going to embrace blogging a bit fuller. Or in other words, I am going to return to my blogging roots, lol. What I'm trying, so uneloquently, to say is that I shall be posting two or three times a week. So go ahead and stop by more often, if you'd like.

In other news, I am thinking about getting a pet. I've wanted a dog for a decent amount of time, because let's face it, they are man's best friend. But, unfortunately, I cannot get a dog at this time. However, scrolling the websites of animal shelters in my area, I came across this pet idea: the chicken. This shelter states that chickens are always available (rather sad that so many people abuse and neglect them) and that they make surprisingly good pets. A chicken would also be a convenient pet (I feel kind of bad that I am choosing a pet for convenience) since it remains outdoors. I can set up a small chicken home (many sites say a dog carrier type enclosure will do) in the backyard and that should be it. They eat common pet store pellets and drink water, and love cheerios and chex mix as tasty treats. This informative article even says they can be trained a bit and are rather sociable. From what I've read, I'm really looking into getting a pet chicken. But, I briefly asked a fellow blogger on gchat about the pet chicken idea and her response was that it probably wasn't a good idea. That the chicken would not be very social or pet like and would simply crap all over the place. So I'm asking anyone out there, blog buddies, neighbors, first-time visitors, everyone ... do you think a chicken would make a good pet?

PS - Perhaps this is a sign, but Slate has a piece about a peculiar chicken. It's a great read and be sure to check out the author's other pieces about his livestock and farm.

PPS - Most of you are probably familiar with the lovely and witty Diane. But if you don't visit her wonderful blog, Nanners and Noodles, do so now and scroll down until you find her amazing photographs from her recent trip to Yellowstone.

13 comments:

sage said...

I don't know anything about having a chicken as a pet. I only knew of one person who had a chicken as a pet and this would have been back in the waning years of the 19th century.

My great-granddaddy, who died when I was 12, told me a story once of having a chicken as a pet--but they lived on a farm and one Sunday the preacher came over after services and his mother served his pet chicken and he told the preacher that they were eating "Clyde" (or whatever the chicken's name was) and how upset it made him to lose his pet chicken because of the preacher. Supposedly, after the preacher left, my great-granddaddy got a good whipping.

This is one of two stories I remember him telling me. I wish I could remember more of 'em.

Diane said...

How about a rat, gerbil, hamster or mouse? There are easy to handle cages available, as well as habitrail type set ups, and I would imagine they would be pretty low maintenance, and also more affectionate than a chicken.

Also, if your apartment will allow it, a cat or two can be pretty low maintenance - you can go away for the weekend, for instance, and just leave a clean cat box and a big bowl of water and friskies!

And thanks for the nice comment on my vacation photos!

LA said...

V - While I think it's great you are willing to rescue a chicken that needs a good home, I'm not sure it meets the criteria of "pet." Let me explain. My pets live with me in my house. They hang out with me when I eat, sleep, watch television, read, work, etc. They are my little house companions who give and receive affection and communicate with me.

Now, I'm speaking from ignorance about chickens, so I don't really know if it's possible to have that kind of exchange with a chicken. To me, the beauty of having pets is that share my space and interact with me. I love having one of my cats (or my sister's dog when he visits) curl up on my lap or at my feet when I read or watch television. I just can't imagine a chicken curling up in my lap and being cuddly.

I guess you should ask yourself *why* you want a pet, and go about choosing one based on your answer.

LA said...

Okay, I looked at that article, and it says they will sit in your lap and enjoy petting. Hmmm. I'm having trouble visualizing it.

I think you should go to the shelter and meet some chickens before you make any decisions.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

A chicken? Really? Cool. I would have never thought that they would make for good pets (messy, noisy and such). I really don't know if they'd be good pets. Plus, there is the ever present threat courtesy of CNN of bird flu.

When I move out (seriously, it's gotta be soon man, because I'm dying here living with my folks), I want to get a cat. I'm more of a dog person, but cats are easier. Plus, I have the perfect (purrfect?) name for him. Leroy. As in "Bad Bad Leroy Brown, the baddest cat in the whole damn town." I must admit, the name I've thought of for my future pet is a big selling point for narrowing down the species. If you end up getting a chicken, I want to know what you're planning on naming him.

I'm looking forward to more postings! Maybe it will encourage me to get back in the blogging grove.

GetFlix said...

I would avoid a chicken. They crap alot, and it's rather strong in odor. A dog craps, and it's usually a small load that can be moved with a shovel. But chicken just shit all the time, everywhere, and they smell. People keep them on farms because they eat them. Or they want fresh eggs.

I suggest you get fish. And if you really want to be happy, consider a marine tank.

v said...

Sage - Thanks for sharing the story of your great-granddaddy. I'm guessing it is a bit easier to have a chicken as a pet on a farm.

Diane - Yeah, you are the second person to suggest a hamster. I'm leaning in that direction, but I was wondering how socialable and intelligent a hamster would be? I mean would they remember me and play with me out of their cage? Plus I read they are nocturnal so would they mostly be asleep during the day? I think there's a post on hamsters as pets in my future. Unfortunately I cannot get a dog or cat. And thanks for sharing those lovely vacay photos!

LA - You make a great point about why we get pets and whether a chicken can qualify as a pet. But like that article says, chickens are supposedly decent pets. But you are definitely right, before I think about adopting a chicken, I must go to the shelter and meet some and interact with them. Thanks for the good advice!

Ffleur - I too really want a dog, but it seems very remote at this stage. The article says a pet chicken would definitely need a secure enclosure for sleeping to be protected from predators.

Mish - That is a great name for a cat. Plus once you've adopted a cat, you'll be ready for a wonderful pet dog. I'm hoping a pet chicken or hamster will be a good way to prepare for a dog in the future. And I'm going to refrain from even thinking of names until I'm somewhat certain I'll be getting a pet and what type it will be. And I think you're already in the blogging grove; a couple posts a week is what I am aiming for.

Getflix - You make a strong argument against chickens as pets and I think I'm heading in that direction. But I might as well visit the shelter and check them out. You also make a good suggestion for fish. I really know very little about fish but I'll look into them now.

Diane said...

v - I think hamsters can be nocturnal or not depending on the type . . . if you had the outdoor space for a chicken coop - how about a rabbit hutch? many shelters and rescue groups have bunnies they are trying to place. Otherwise, a rat may be a better pet than a hamster - they are smarter and if hand raised should be pretty affectionate

GetFlix said...

V, I run two marine tanks and can give you the scoop on how to set-up on the cheap. First you need to find out if it's for you.

I suggest you check out:
http://www.saltwaterfish.com

ffleur said...

The sad thing about hamsters is they only live a few years. It would be difficult to deal with their death (at least for me).

Fish are non-huggable.

A rabbit may be the way to go. They are snuggly but maybe since you cannot have a cat, a bunny is also not allowed?

Ryan said...

Totally have to agree with GetFlix and your friend on gchat. Chickens are really not social and they are extremely messy.

Diane said...

A salt water tank would be very cool - even my 10 yr old goldfish Splish is company of a sort

PixieGaf said...

Glad you are back V! I can't stay away from blogger either.