Sunday, March 04, 2007

Pet Update and Photographs

So I might not be getting a pet after all. A pet chicken, while convenient, is probably just too messy for me. And while I think they might be sociable (as the shelter and websites claim), the level of friendliness is probably far lower than what I am imagining. Though I might head down to the shelter and check them out. And that ties into my new idea. Actually it's not my idea, but someone else's. But it is a terriffic idea. Someone suggested that shelter's are always in need of dog walkers. And that sounds perfect to me. I've always thought about volunteering at an animal shelter to learn more about pet animals. Since I don't know much about shelters, I never realized they would need dog walkers. But they must, and that sounds like the perfect way to learn and prepare for a pet dog sometime in the future. I still haven't called nearby shelters so this dog walking idea is way in the future, but I think it's the best idea for me and I'll post more about it when new info arrives. Again, thanks everyone for the great ideas and thoughts on the pet chicken matter and pets in general.

In other news, last week was a stellar time for blog photographs. Both Diane and Sage posted photos of their recent trips. For those of you who haven't caught the photos from Diane's exciting trip to Yellowstone, head over to her blog and scroll down for them. And Sage has some wonderful beach photos of his trip. Another great source of photos is Norm. He's posted some wonderful photos (here and here starring his adventuresome dog Stinky) of the winter wonderland that is his backyard.

So, taking a cue from these wonderful bloggers I took some photos and now I'm going to share them. They're pretty mundane. Just some rain (perhaps hail) from a couple days ago; mainly to show it gets cold here in the Bay Area (California) too. But I just checked the forecast and today's high is 70. So I guess it is true. We don't get cold weather.







9 comments:

LA said...

V - Stellar idea. In fact, that's how I ended up owning my first cat. I volunteered at my local no-kill shelter. I was strictly a dog person at the time (I disliked cats enormously, in fact). Over time, being in contact with all these great animals, I really missed having a pet in my life and lived in an apartment at the time that restricted dogs. So I adopted a cat from the shelter, and the rest is history.

I am so happy for you! I think you will find volunteering extremely rewarding! Congrats!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

The dog walking sounds like a great idea! Just don't be surprised if like LA, you end up with one. My mom forbid me from volunteering at a shelter because she could forsee the outcome. :)

Thanks for sharing your photos. Its nice to know that even places that I dream of moving to during my winters get some bad weather too. (We just had a major snow storm and I'm inches away from completely going mad.)

NY KAT said...

I've been thinking about volunteering at a no-kill animal shelter also. The problem is, I would want to take all of the animals home with me and I already have three cats!

Diane said...

v - great idea about dogwalking! As I drive home from work, I see volunteers walking dogs from the local shelter, and I'm sure your local shelters can also use help. Great photos - the third one of the stormy sky is my favorite!

sage said...

Volunteering at a shelter sounds like an excellent idea, one of the problems with pets (especially dogs) is that they become expensive to board when you travel. In my younger adult years, I had gerbils--I should write a post about them! Thanks for the plug for my beach shots, I'm back in the snow and cold now and it looks like you're in the rain!

v said...

LA - So glad to hear about your own volunteering opportunity. I, too, am not a cat person ... I think I would better describe it as I'm the type that prefers dogs. But who knows, perhaps I'll befriend a cat or even another animal and adopt it down the road.

Mish - Yeah, we get some bad weather. But it's really not too bad, and then it is hardly often. After reading you just got a major snow storm I thought to myself: "Hooray, skiing/snowboarding!" ... I'm guessing you call us California/easy weather types naive.

NY Kat - Welcome! Three cats is basically a mini-shelter itself. I'm sure you have your hands full.

Diane - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the photos. Your Yellowstone photos were oustanding.

Sage - I hope you do post about your pet gerbils, I am positive it will make for a stellar post.

Ffleur - I'm not sure about the hours yet. When I learn more I'll be sure to share the info. Yeah, if I could choose any pet it would be a nice, lovable dog. Like they say, dogs are man's best friend.

LA said...

V - See the irony here is that once I own a cat, I found I could love and appreciate them as much as dogs. I never thought they had any personality before, but that was only because I hadn't lived with one. (Now, I have three.) Someday, I hope to have a dog again, but in the meantime, there are many dogs in my life to enjoy until I have the right space.

GetFlix said...

Great idea, V! A perfect solution!!

Princess in Galoshes said...

What do you have against cats??

Sincerely,
Cat

P.S. I think we should start a pool on how long it is before you end up bringing a shelter animal home. They are just too irresistable. ;-)