Wednesday, March 07, 2007

TALLADEGA NIGHTS (2006)

I have to admit I didn't know what to expect going into viewing TALLADEGA NIGHTS (2006). That's mainly because while I think Will Ferrell is a comic genius, I was thoroughly disappointed with ANCHORMAN (2004). I know most people found it hysterical, I just did not. Completely. But that wasn't the case with TALLADEGA NIGHTS.

Now I can't say TALLADEGA NIGHTS is a movie you should run out to see. It is pretty silly. But while there isn't much detailed substance, there is a wonderful, hokey charm that will (or might) win you over. Ferrell plays a bumbling young midwesterner who gets the chance to become a NASCAR driver and takes the sport by storm, only to hit rock bottom after a crash and the introduction of a nemesis: a gay, french Formula One driver who enters NASCAR (brilliantly played by Sacha Baron Cohen). The triumphant comeback is both predictable and randomly funny, with a great ending. However, for me, the real gem of the film is the funny, odd best buddy relationship between the characters played by Ferrell and John C. Reilly. I can't really describe it in detail only to say that the buddy relationship takes up a good part of the story and showcases some stellar oddball humor.

All in all, this is one of those flicks I would recommend to those people who are already interested in it. Yeah, a rousing endorsement. If you're not familiar with the Ferrell/Adam McKay (director) brand of humor, this might be a long two hours. But if you found Ferrell funny on SNL and enjoyed the previews, this will probably be a fun afternoon.

8 comments:

Ryan said...

I HATED THIS FILM! I WANTED TO CLAW MY EYES OUT WHILE VIEWING THIS PIECE OF CRAP MOVIE.

I enjoyed Anchorman much more than I did Talladega Nights, and that is going a ways.

Sorry for my anger, but I cannot believe that film was even made. Maybe it is because I HATE NASCAR.

I did like Sacha Baron Cohen in his role.

LA said...

I'm with you on Anchorman, although it did have a couple decent moments.

I actually thought Will Ferrell stole the show in Old School. And the new skating films looks like it could be a guilty pleasure.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm conflicted. I hate hate HATE NASCAR (it's surprisingly big in Canada), but I love John C. Reilly. And Will Ferrell is usually good for a laugh (if you discount Bewitched). Sacha Baron Cohen may just be the clincher. Damn, I still have to see Borat.

My movie list is getting bigger.

Diane said...

How can no one mention Elf? I think Ferrell can be really, really funny in the right role.

But I do hate, hate, hate Nascar. For me, auto racing means Indy Car and Formula One - suave drivers from Europe and South America. Nascar means moon shine and Daisy Dukes . . .

sage said...

although from the South, I've never been much of a race fan, but the movie did look interesting--I'll wait till it's on video and get if from Netflix

PixieGaf said...

V you did not enjoy Anchorman? I think Anchorman was 10 times funnier than Talladega Nights.

GetFlix said...

"Moonshine And Daisy Dukes" Now that's a movie.

NY KAT said...

I agree with you about this movie being better than Anchorman. I actually watched Talladega Nights last night for the second time and I thought it was even funnier!