Friday, May 04, 2007

More NBA Playoffs!

I was supposed to update my previous (and first) NBA Playoffs post but I thought I would spare everyone ration out my wondrous bball wisdom. The real reason is that I was lame and went with the lazy pick of the Mavs over the Warriors (the Bay Area team!) and then quickly (okay, okay, midway through the series, but after I actually watched a game) jumped upon the Golden State bandwagon. So why did I not post anything on this? Because if I had I would have jinxed the Warriors into losing the series. Some may call this a bit superstitious, we sports fans call it hard science. Now that the amazing Warriors have pulled off the greatest upset in NBA history, I will be posting a bit more about them. I think they will make the Conference Finals, beating either Houston or Utah. But first let's check how my predictions did:

Eastern Conference:

#4 Miami vs #5 Chicago (Chicago in 7)

I was right about Chicago winning, but they swept the defending champs (Miami) in 4 games. I think the Baby Bulls will go very far. More on that later.

#8 Orlando vs #1 Detroit (Detroit in 5)

I did much better here. Detroit won in 4.

#7 Washington vs #2 Cleveland (Cleveland in 5)

Cleveland also swept in 4, though the deeply injured Washington Wizards went down fighting. I know the Cavs swept, but things don't look good for Bron-Bron.

#6 New Jersey vs #3 Toronto (Toronto in 6)

I got this series wrong. New Jersey actually won in 6. I should have known something was up when the Nets beat the Bulls in a very important final game of the regular season. But I thought Bosh would be big, and he was a bit iffy. In all fairness, it was his first playoff series ever and he is still a young player. New Jersey was simply the better team.

Western Conference:

#7 Los Angeles vs #2 Phoenix (Phoenix in 6)

Once again I was close, Phoenix actually won in 5.

#6 Denver vs #3 San Antonio (San Antonio in 5)

I actually got this right on the money. I'm a bit torn about A.I. and I think if he focuses on a more all-around (facilitator) game, then Denver will be very tough next year. That said, I truly believe he shot Denver out of at least 2 games. But to be fair, he took two big shots down the stretch in game 4 and both were in and out types, had they fallen maybe it's San Antonio in 6 instead of 5.

*Seriously, if you read this far you are a trooper and a good buddy! I thank you kindly.

#8 Golden State vs #1 Dallas (Dallas in 6)

Boy was I wrong on this one. It turned out that Golden State completed the greatest NBA playoff upset in 6 games. All I have to say is this: GO WARRIORS!!!!!!! Whoooo!!!!!

#4 Utah vs #5 Houston (Houston in 6)

This series is still active with game 7 scheduled for Saturday evening. I had a feeling it was going to go 7 games but I'm a big Houston (T-Mac and Yao) fan and I don't like their chances in a game 7. Yes they have home court and only the home team has won in the series, but I still think game 7 is 50/50 which isn't such a good thing for Houston who was favored at the start of the series.

So here's the wrap up:

Out of 8 total series, 7 have been completed. I picked the winners in 5 out of the 7. And I picked the correct winner and number of games in 1 of the 5. Even if the remaining game goes against my prediction, I'll be above 50% which isn't so bad. In any case, the predictions will be a bit more difficult in the next round. More on that in my next post.

2 comments:

M-M-M-Mishy said...

A bunch of my friends got swept up in the commotion of the Raptors not totally sucking. "They're going to win it all! They're going to kick ass and take names! Toronto will finally get some basketball recognition!"

And then everything went back to normal.

v said...

Lol, Mish. I was pulling for the Raptors too.