Saturday, May 12, 2007

POSSESSION (2002)

POSSESSION (2002)
Dir: Neil LaBute
Writers: David Henry Hwang, Laura Jones, LaBute; adapted from a novel by A.S. Byatt
Starring: Aaron Eckhart, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Ehle, Jeremy Northam

Rating: ***** out of 5 stars

Before I begin I'd just like to say that if you are even a minor fan of Byatt, Hwang, Jones, or LaBute, and you've asked yourself why Hollywood has such trouble in capturing authentic romance ... then you'll want to stop reading this post and track down a copy of the film. It's really that good.

I'd stop short of calling the film a masterpiece and that's mainly because I'm guessing the novel (of the same name) by A.S. Byatt is almost certainly the true masterwork which birthed this charming cinematic gem. While I haven't read the novel, that it won the 1990 Booker Prize seems to support my guess that it's a darn good book. Now I'm certainly not a fan of the novel-to-screen process, as I've ranted on before. My main qualms stem from H-wood's insane focus on commercialization as well as the inherent differences between a novel and a screenplay. Novels are written quite differently (than a screenplay) and we (the public reader/viewer) experience them quite differently. I could go into more detail but this post is already getting long and I haven't even begun discussing the film. In any case, one of the main differences is that a novel's plot can detail and juggle numerous actions, sub-stories, and characters. Something that is a bit more difficult in a screenplay, which the super smart studio people understand so well that they immediately buy a bestseller and have Joe Hack screenwriter produce a 120 page screenplay. The sheer page/time limit is such an obstacle that the screenplay and movie become a complete bastardization of the original novel.

Of course POSSESSION is the exception that proves the rule. Having Hwang, Jones, and LaBute adapt Byatt's novel is a stellar start. They're skillful wordsmiths who have crafted an elegant screenplay. LaBute's artful direction brings the script to vivid, probing life. Now I understand certain folk find Gwyneth Paltrow to have a bit of a "persona" (for lack of a better word) but from her turns in SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE and POSSESSION, she is a terrific actor (and singer, the Aussie's are with me on this, lol). Paltrow and Eckhart are wonderful as the leads, while Northam and Ehle steal a scene or three.

POSSESSION will engage you with its literary history adventure, and completely enthrall you with its dive into the always tenuous triangle of romance, love, and relationships. And yes, I cannot wait to read the book.

Links:
IMBb entry of the film
Wikipedia entry of the book
Chicago Reader capsule review of the film

8 comments:

LA said...

I read the book when it came out and was delighted when it won the Booker. I've stayed away from the film because of my dislike of Gwyneth Paltrow. Perhaps I should reconsider my position as it sounds like I'm doing myself a disservice.

V - Check out the film Impromptu sometime.

sage said...

I'll have to check out the film--I never got around to reading the novel when it popular, but remember talking about it with several friends who were reading it. Good review V.

Diane said...

I'll check out the book and the movie . . . I'm kind of with la in the anti-Gywnnie camp, but I did like her in Shakespeare in Love, even though the pink dress she wore to the Oscars fit her bosom badly . . .

GetFlix said...

This one slipped by me, I don't even recall it being released. It sounds like it might be a good date movie.

NY KAT said...

I'll have to pickup the book or rent the movie. Thanks for the suggestion

ffleur said...

I loved this movie but never knew it was based on a book. I'll have to check out the book sometime.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Good review, V. I might be more excited about the book because I've been on such a good book drought lately.

I've always wondered why Aaron Eckhart isn't more famous than he is. He was also fantastic in Thank You For Smoking.

Princess in Galoshes said...

Oooh. I so do not normally watch movies just because of a review, but this one intrigues me! Nice job, V.

I am always on the lookout for a believeable romance. Adventure and love triangles are just a bonus.

(P.S. If you had any hopes for "The Ex" [as I did, being a huge Zach Braff fan] don't bother. It was sadly suck-tastic. The comedy was shallow and unfinished, and the dialogue was painful. The whole thing had a feel of a rushed Creative Writing 101 assignment.)