Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Fellow Americans

This is a bit of a political post. I thought I would just state that from the outset.

I'm not sure what Europeans, Asians, Africans, South Americans, my age specifically think about when they hear the words "American" and "USA." I don't know many people outside of North America, so it is difficult to tell what they must specifically think. I'm sure they see President Bush and other administration officials, and must be quite angry and cynical (and rightfully so) at the incompetence and corruption this administration has so successfully executed. I wonder if they conclude the administration is typical of the US, we did after all vote this administration into office twice (well, at least once). But I hope their view isn't so monolithic.

Broadcast laws in the United States have an Equal Time rule that makes sure if one political candidate gets air time, the other candidates get equal time. I wish there was something similar when it came to American voices overseas. For every time a Bush administration official would douchebaggedly opine things are going well in Iraq, equal time should be given to an American who genuinely upholds this nation's values.

Off the top of my head, I'd have the Tillman family, Jessica Lynch, and members of C.I.V.I.C. slotted in the counter programming.

The Tillman family and Jessica Lynch testified last month as to how the Army and Government lied about and manipulated events in order to quell the potential for military criticism (in the case of Pat Tillman) and to propel a military PR bonanza (in the case of Jessica Lynch).

Most Americans know at least a little about the everyday heroism of Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch. While Pat Tillman died by tragic friendly fire and not in the Rambo-esque, so-called "heroic" manner the military first claimed, he was already a hero. Here's a man who gave up a multi-million dollar NFL contract and joined the military to bring justice to the perpetrators of 9/11. He was a genuine everyday US hero, who like many Americans continued to read about his government's policies and, as his mother mentions, came (or seemed to be leaning) to the conclusion that the (at the time) nascent Iraq War was illegal and/or not in the US' best interest. (For more info on Tillman's political views during his stint in Afghanistan check out the wiki entry on him.) His family now heroically fights to get a thorough investigation of his death.

Jessica Lynch received a hero's welcome and rightfully so. Yet the publicized events surrounding her capture and rescue were greatly exaggerated by the US military, government, and news media. And we know this in large part because she told the truth and testified to it. It's a stark contrast to the "I don't recall" of the testimony of Attorney General Gonzales.

This past April 16th marked two years to the date that the world lost someone incredibly special. Marla Ruzicka would have been 30 today. She was a young firebrand who started the Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict (CIVIC). She tirelessly advocated on behalf of the civilian victims of war and before her death was able to secure US Government funds for civilian victims in Iraq and Afghanistan. Her wonderful mission continues today through the amazing organization she started.

Marla died along with CIVIC's Iraqi head Faiz Ali Salim by suicide car bomb in Iraq on April 16, 2005.

PS - If you do any online shopping from websites such as eBay, orbitz, shoes.com, staples, target, amazon.com, macy's, drugstore.com, etc. then check out CIVIC's FreePledge page. If you buy your merchandise by clicking through FreePledge, CIVIC will receive a portion of your purchase. FreePledge can be used with other non-profits as well.

PPS - Also check out Mixed Market. Mixed Market does the same thing as FreePledge but you cannot choose which charity your proceeds will go to. They evenly donate amongst 5 charities (4 permanent, 1 revolving). Special thanks to Yllwdaisies for suggesting Mixed Market.

PPPS - By the by, both FreePledge and Mixed Market are for-profit companies themselves. But they are doing a good deed and from what I've read, they're more efficient than those "good cause" ad campaigns retailers run ever so often. So the next time you shop online, think about FreePledge and Mixed Market ... I definitely will.

10 comments:

LA said...

Word of the day: douchebaggedly

Love. It.

I'm totally with you, V. I suspect Jimmy Carter's recent scathing review of the Bush Administration was readily picked up by the worldwide media. I like to think that they don't think we're all morons like our president.

Diane said...

Great post, V. And I'm glad to see the Tillman family won't just go quietly into the night like the Bushies wish they would

ffleur said...

The problem with signing up to go fight the "perpretrators of 9/11" is the military sends these people to Iraq. The perps of 9/11 are in the wind: they are ordinary-looking people (i.e. non-soldiers) living in Pakistan, Britain, United States, Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan. One place they probably definitely are not, is Iraq. Terrorists are notoriously hard to fight because they are not soldiers in the traditional sense. They cannot be fought in a traditional military way but that is the only way Bush and his military people are pushing. They are living in 1940 but times have moved on. This is not a traditional miliary war. They ought to take a close look at Northern Ireland. How were the IRA terrorists defeat? Learn from that Bush.

yll said...

Can I plug MixedMarket.com? I know you're not an Oprah fan, but they donate to a few different charities. I use them when I shop through Amazon. They have a bunch of stores.

GetFlix said...

While I don't always have the means to donate the way I would like, the concept of charity purchase portals is great. This is worth looking into.

v said...

Thanks for suggesting Mixed Market Yllwdaisies. Though I think we all find it a little strange you failed to mention it was founded by Ryan, the "winner" of the Bachelorette.

Trying to hide your Trista and Ryan obsession!?!?

Lol. Only kidding. ;)

sage said...

Your post is well thought out. We knew early own something was fishy with Jessica Lynch's story--when it came out that an Iraqi doctor was the one who tipped off the soldiers.

The Tillman case is tragedic. Friendly fire happens, and he was a hero before his death, they didn't need to create stories to make him more of a hero.

sage said...

Oh, one critique, I can't hear that phrase "My fellow Americans" without thinking of Richard Nixon and wondering what's coming next... :)

Kelly said...

love the post. I'm sick of being hated by the world!!!

v said...

Thanks Kelly! And welcome to my blog. I really like your blog. Hope you don't mind if I add your blog to my links list.