Sunday, October 22, 2006

I have a cold.

Yes. I am the first victim of the oncoming winter. I hope this means that I won't fall to the cold/flu bug again this winter.

Anyway, this means gallons of chicken noodle soup are in my future. This also means I probably won't be posting for the next few days. But I'd like to leave the bloghood with this post. I can't resist the chance to get sympathy comments. Yes, that is kinda sad. How dare you! Whatever.

So I'd like to talk about another tv show that I think is stellar. But before that, I'd like to point you towards Yllwdaisies' blog. She's posted a powerful short film from Dove. It's part of Dove's campaign on beauty and shows just what it takes to get a photograph onto a beauty advertisement. Most of us know about the process at work, but seeing it from start to finish in this short vid simply underscores the unreality of advertising. In any case, it is a striking short film.

And before I get to "Heroes" I must drop a Slate link. So what do you all think about Sophia Coppola? She has a new film out about Marie Antoinette. I have yet to see a Sophia Coppola film. I have seen her, umm, "role" in THE GODFATHER, PART III. And I am also aware of her meteoric rise to magazine (maybe critics') darling as a director. Anyway, Slate's Dana Stevens (a superb film reviewer, in my opinion) tackles Sophia Coppola and her new film in this very interesting review.

So I've posted about "Heroes" before and mentioned that I'm becoming a major fan of the show. Tonight, for those of you not watching the World Series or are on the West Coast, NBC is showing all 3 previously broadcasted episodes. If you're a sci-fi or comic book fan or once was, I strongly recommend you check out the episodes. "Heroes" is simply a sharp, smart show that embodies the creativity of sci-fi and the suspense of comic books. If you think the show is not believable and is soap-operatic melodrama (as I did before watching an episode), you will be pleasantly surprised. The show is building a methodical, intricate, and thoroughly entertaining tale of the "hero's journey" and supporting it with engaging side stories. If you are at all interested I strongly urge you to check the show out.

8 comments:

sage said...

Hope you get to feeling well soon. I haven't been watching many movies lately, as I've been very busy, but did watch 3-Iron this weekend (a Korean film) and may try to get a post up about it. Next from Netflix is Water, that you suggested--I'll watch it with my collegue from India.

As for the Marie Antoinette movie, Jewaira (a woman from Kuwait who is in my blogroll) recently reviewed it--but she didn't like it.

ffleur said...

Sending good vibes your way. I had a cold a few weeks ago and the sympathy messages from my blog friends were most comforting. So condolences for your aching head and get well soon!

As for Sofia Coppola, I saw her in "The Outsiders" when she was a very skinny, scrawny, buck toothed, sadly un-cute child. She only had a tiny part where she tries to get those "tough" boys to give her a nickle or a dime or something. Doesn't work.

Diane said...

v - as luck would have it, I'm watching Heroes as I'm writing this. Lots of chicken soup and tea w/ honey and lemon. Or an even better version is warm up some apple juice, lemon juice, honey and cinnamon sticks, put it in a mug, and add a shot of Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum - guaranteed to cure what ails you!

Feel better soon!

PixieGaf said...

Feel better soon V! Any theories on why the cheerleader holds the key to the entire world's salvation?

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Man, is EVERYONE into Heros? Damn, I wish I had gotten into that instead of Studio 60, which I think is on it's last legs.

Personally, I think Sophia Coppola is overrated. I hated Lost in Translation and I have no plans to sit through an entire movie with Kirsten Dunst.

And for that cold remedy, go for the herbal teas with honey and lemon. Works like magic. Feel better, V!

anne said...

I might just check that show out tonight...thanks for the recommendation. I had sort of heard of it, but not didn't really know when and where it was on...

Marcia said...

I tivo'd the Heros this week. And I watched them all this morning. That show kind of ROCKs. seriously.

yll said...

All my blog-friends love Heroes. I'm gonna wait for the dvd of the season to come out. It'll be summer & I'll have more free time.

I hope you feel better. I drink lots of green tea w/ the honey & lemon. For a bachelor like yourself, Lipton makes a powder that you can put into your bottled water, & you'll still get the anti-oxidants.

I'll wait for Marie Anton on dvd too; but I must get my hands on that soundtrack. It sounds awesome (what snipets I've heard).

Ok, off to read that Slate review. Oh, one more thing, my aunt in Phoenix recommended 'Water' to me too. She loved it. I've seen 'Fire', but haven't seen 'Earth' yet. Should I watch that 1st before 'Water'?