Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Spot the Lie Meme - Updated

So the lie was numero 4. No one guessed it although Mishy was on the right track only to succumb to the sports related item. But I was very sneaky about number 4. Not only was it the blandest item, but I dropped in an X-Files reference which threw a few people off. See, I was very sneaky. Anyway, even the "truths" need a little explaining so here goes:

1. I never really made a living reading/reviewing scripts because I mostly did it for free. I was an intern (which means work for free) at the company and, like many interns, my primary duties were answering the phone (which rings 24-7, I still have nightmares) and reviewing the gazillion scripts that a company like that gets. And for those of you that think you'll get to read the next CASABLANCA or THE GODFATHER or BLADE RUNNER or A.I. or even THE MATRIX, ummm, think again. They say at the top companies 1 out of 100 scripts will get made. I think the ratio is probably higher. And in any case, the fact is, most of the scripts you read are crappy. Anyway, taking a page from Sage, I think in the winter recess I would like to post a bit about my time trying to get a job in the film development industry.

2. I love basketball and since college I've become a fairly decent player. But I'm no natural hoopster. I was so terrible as a young'n that I played 4 seasons of community-league basketball and scored a single basket. I can't believe I just admitted this.

3. There's some truthiness to this one. I went "part-time" at college for numerous reasons. And at the time I really got into poker and actually thought I could make some money from it. I was naive, foolish, and a bit too optimistic. You know the guy that sees something new and immediately goes, "I could do that. Hell, it ain't rocket science."? Well I'm that a-hole, lol. Well, it turns out poker is sort of like rocket science, in that it is quite complicated and it helps if you're good at math. For those who are curious, poker is actually a game of skill. It involves a good deal of luck, but in the end it is a game of strategy and skill. So for those who are amazing at it, the possibility of making a very good living is certainly there. But it is a very complicated profession that certainly is not easy or for the faint of heart, by any means. Anyway, maybe I can do a poker post in the future.

4. This one is the lie. Man, I was so sneaky. Sorry about that folks, I shouldn't have been that sneaky.

5. It is true folks. I do not drink alcohol nor partake in recreational drugs. I, however, have no qualms about other people doing either. This is just something I choose to do, for various reasons. I understand the 'no alcohol' portion seems a bit strange but I've never been curious about it. In high school I never had that urge (for lack of a better term) to see what it felt or tasted like. And I've not been curious about it ever since. Anyway, that't the best way I can explain it. Hopefully it doesn't sound so weird.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Poker is definitely math oriented . . . it's all about making the right choice based on the odds, some poker sense, and some luck . . .

Alright everybody . . . V is the designated driver!!!!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Man, I need to remember to always go with my gut. I get tripped up when I start second guessing myself.

Oh, and my lie was the most boring one too. Sneaky sneaky!

PixieGaf said...

Holy crap that X-files refrence totally threw me off! I must admit I really do admire your drug-free lifestyle. Good job V this meme game is so fun.

anne said...

Ah...good times with the truths & lies... :) Sneaky, sneaky!