Sunday, November 05, 2006

Who saw "The Office"?

First, I'll post an explanation of the "Spot the Lie" meme on Tuesday. My guess is that everyone who wanted to vote has voted and waiting until Tuesday for the unfashionably late commenters is a bit harsh for those wanting to know the answer already. But I'm going to have it both ways. For those of you that haven't voted scroll down (NOW!, right this very minute!) to the next post and leave a comment. For those wondering which is the lie it is: #4 (highlight for answer)

I was very sneaky with my version of the meme. Sorry about that folks. Anyway, I'll explain my sneakiness on Tuesday.

Now, to the important stuff. Okay, last week's episode of "The Office" in which the employees went to a Diwali festival/party was beyond funny. Perhaps I found it a bit more hilarious in that I've been to several of these as a child. The episode was written by Mindy Kaling who plays Kelly on the show. I'm sure others had a hand in it, but it shows that Kaling is a skillful writer. She smoothly plays the East-Indian/Hindu culture card for smart laughs, and just as easily uses the new environment to accentuate the quirky idiosyncracies of the main cast --- the show's bread and butter source for its humor. Anyway, I admit it. It's fun to see a fellow Indo-American on TV and an episode that revolves around Diwali. And it doesn't hurt that the episode was BEYOND FUNNY! Seriously people, the episode might be worth two bucks. Maybe. But I'm cheap. Hello, I'm Indian!?!? Hah.

My favorite line from the ep:

Kelly's Mother (talking about Michael's date played by Nancy Walls): She's very fair.

Michael: Yes, she's very fair and kind.

For those who do not see it, this is a clever semi-gibe at the preference of lighter (fairer) skin by many developing nations. India is no different.

Anyway, now I'm going to turn this into a Mindy Kaling link post:
IMDb profile page
TVSquad profile
TVSquad interview
Go Fug Yourself fashion critique
Kaling sells soroity-comedy script

PS - On the Pam and Jim issue. Um, does anyone else feel bad for Roy? I mean he totally took Pam for granted and was a bad boyfriend/fiance. But I think he's a changed man. He got into shape and overtly misses and pines for Pam. I'm sorry but part of me thinks they can work it out, lol. Plus, clearly, Jim's coworker is going to take advantage of Jim's drunken state. I have to hand it to the writers. It's not easy to keep a semi-believeable and funny plot in which Jim and Pam remain apart for very long but they certainly seem to be doing it.

5 comments:

Diane said...

I totally agree about The Office - last week's episode was great, and I like how so many of the stars are involved with the writing too. Did you know those were really Mindy Kaling's parents? I did feel bad for Roy, and I like that they have managed to work in a seperate story line at Jim's office - Ed Helms is great!

My favorite line
Michael - spitting out his food "ugh this is a terrible S'more!"
Carol - "it's not a S'more, it's samosa"
Michael - to the camera - "seriously, a S'more has 3 ingredients, how hard can it be?"

anne said...

Man I totally got the lie wrong. But it seems like the first one that popped into my head as being the right one---was the right one. Weird.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Well, I was wrong about the lie. Ah well, I'm a terrible lie detector.

First, The Office was hilarious. Angela was such a bitch, Dwight made me laugh outloud, and yeah, for a second I ~almost~ felt sorry for Roy (plus, he's starting to foxy himself up). That being said, I'm still all for Jim and Pam. They are meant to be. End of story in my book.

I've always thought that Mindy was one of the best people on the show. She does annoying in a way that isn't so annoying that I can't watch her. Plus, she drives Ryan crazy. And they're totally going to end up married with Ryan losing his mind.

Um... I felt really bad for Michael getting turned down by the realtor lady like that. BTW, Nancy Walls is an amazing actor. I hope she stays on the show for awhile.

Um, can you tell that I'm passionate about this show? This was a long comment.

LA said...

I totally worship The Office. I thought the best line was when Michael asked Kelly's mother if she has to throw herself into a fire after her husband dies. Oh, I also liked it early on when Michael called the staff in and had his little seminar on famous Indians, and he showed Apu (sp?) from The Simpsons. Great stuff!

In a couple weeks, Scrubs is coming back and will be on right after the office, causing major dilemmas for Grey's Anatomy fans like myself (I'll watch Grey's and tape Scrubs).

Marcia said...

I love the office so much - it's still on my tivo, waiting for my husband to be ready to watch it with me. He's no good like this. We end up getting weeks behind in shows becuase of the magic tivo...