Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Book Club Update

This is partly a repost from my other blog but I hope this will spark some interest and start some book club type posts.

A few years ago I was able to hear an absolutely enchanting short story on NPR's Selected Shorts. The piece was "The 5:22" by George Harrar. Anyway, check out George Harrar's website and his other short stories as well.


On the informal Blog Book Club, the wonderful Sage has another pair of book reviews. Check them out over on his blog.


I recently skimmed over Arthur Miller's The Crucible for school. In class we saw clips of the 1996 film --- which is pretty darn good as well.

I'm currently reading The Curious Incident ... which is really fantastic. I'll have a post on that when I finish it.


That completes this Book Club Update post.

6 comments:

Marcia said...

you're making me feel badly about the book review post I'm supposed to be doing....

0000 said...

Ooh, I'll go check out George Harar's website...I enjoyed The 5:22!

Anonymous said...

mb - Well, I'm still reading The Curious Incident ... while you've finished that and countless other cool novels. So I'm envious of you ... grrr!

idle - At Harrar's website he has a selection of 5 or so short stories. If you read any, please post about them for us. Thanks.

0000 said...

I just read two, "Gentile Breezes" and "A Perfect Reputation."

Gentile Breezes is, I think, a snippet of a larger story, yet a pleasant one nonetheless. No major twist, just a couple days of self reflection in the life of one resting home resident in the wake of the death of a fellow resident.

A Perfect Reputation is a story about a guy accused of murder in his small town, and how his life continues on shortly thereafter. I wouldn't say it has a twist ending, but an interesting one at that.

Leigh said...

Okay, okay. I know I owe you a review of "The Curious Incident..." Somehow, against my will, my actual job got in the way!

Promise to write asap!

xxo, L

Anonymous said...

I have to get TCI I keep hearing about it.