Friday, February 10, 2006

Read Slate!

I think Slate is an exceptional news magazine. It is also completely free and completely online.

I used to despise their advice column because I felt the columnist was haughty and thought we all lived in a high society 1920s novel. Anyway, the new columnist is Emily Yoffe. Yoffe used to write the "Human Guinea Pig" column in which she would try various occupations and hobbies ... from Beauty Contestant to Telephone Psychic. Yoffe is frank, funny, and practical. Her no nonsense advice seems very refreshing. I'm not too sure if the "Dear Prudence" (as the column is called) readers will enjoy this change ... but I will no longer skip this Slate column. Anyway, for those interested here's a link to the most recent column (Yoffe's first).

I guess last week was "Fashion Week" in New York. Over the years Slate has had some very interesting pieces on the world of fashion. While I still think it is a bit bloated and rather superficial ... there is a lot of serious work that goes into fashion. Anyway, I believe each year Slate has put together a slide show from one of the photographers at Fashion Week. Here's a link to the most recent slideshow. I just checked Slate and it looks like they other columns on Fashion Week. Here's a link to a brief history of the fashion show by Amanda Fortini. Followed by a link to Josh Patner's (a founder of design house Tuleh) backstage dispatch. Both Fortini and Patner have scribed previous fashion week columns for Slate and their pieces have been very interesting.

Also, for the poetry lovers out there Slate has a weekly poem spotlight. With Valentine's Day around the corner, none other than Robert Pinksy (who used to run the Slate poetry column) has selected a group of love poems that are very interesting indeed. For those interested, click here.


PS - I've just reread this post and I need a thesaurus because every third word is "interesting" --- how interestingly embarrassing.

1 comment:

0000 said...

The AJC's (Atl. Journal Constitution) manners columnist looks like Dame Judi.