Monday, April 03, 2006

Film Rec

The other day in school I was able to watch an insightful, touching film titled MARIA FULL OF GRACE. The story follows a 17 year-old Columbian girl on her decision to become a drug mule and her journey into the US. The writer/director, Joshua Marston, paints a portrait of a young girl that is at once alien to us as well as thoroughly familiar. And the teenager is superbly portrayed by actress Catalina Sandino Moreno who was nominated for an Oscar last year. Moreno brings a toughness to the role that is as gritty and believeable as the film itself. If you can catch this great film on DVD, I highly recommend it.


PS - I saw another episode of "Grey's Anatomy" yesterday. While I enjoyed it I'm still not completely sold. I'll keep everyone updated since I'm sure my opinion of Grey's Anatomy is on everyone's mind, hah.

5 comments:

0000 said...

I saw Maria Full of Grace at Blockfuckster last week and was like, *this close* to renting it. Now I'll have to!

And with GA, the first season is what really makes you a die hard fan. The second season is like hanging out with old freinds. I recommend you watch the first to "get" the second!

v said...

Yeah, check out Maria Full of Grace ... be sure to come back and leave a comment if you do (well if you check it out in the recent future) or post about it or something.

And I'm not sure why I'm being so snooty about GA. I think it has to do with reminding me so much of early seasons of ER (which I was totally hooked to). Ahh, early seasons of ER ... before your time young Idle! (::puts on old man hat::)

0000 said...

No...I remember how crappy ER got when they switched everyone out and made whatsherface a lez just to spice things up...boo.

sage said...

Maria Full of Grace is wonderful--and distrubing--I think it would be a good movie to watch with high schoolers and discuss different aspects of "globalization"

Anonymous said...

I've seen "MFOG", and I wasn't really too sure of it's merit...

I *did* love the fact that the movie was absolutely the antithesis of normal Hollywood fare...