Monday, April 24, 2006

Network Neutrality

I'm not sure how many of you out there are following the Network Neutrality debate but I thought I'd drop a post about it with some nice links so people can look into the issue on their own.

Basically, Network Neutrality means all data that transfers over the internet is treated equally. No particular data stream (such as from a company that pays a broadband company a premium) gets special, faster access. Broadband Internet companies (DSL and Cable) want to favor certain data and then charge a premium to companies that want access to this more efficient data stream.

Personally, I find this egregious. The internet is a simple network that treats all data the same. To turn it into a complex system with a premium priced fast track lane is anathema to what the world wide web embodies.

Before I go any further, I'd like to post two great links. For some general info, check out Wikipedia's Network Neutrality article (esp the advocates and opponents section). For my money, Bob Cringely knows technology. Check out his thoughts on the subject in this Feb column.

And for those of you that decide Network Neutrality is a good thing, please head on over to Moveon.org and sign a petition that tells Congress we don't want the DSL and Cable companies gutting Network Neutrality.

6 comments:

0000 said...

Ok. I kinda hate people that do this, but feel a compulsion to do it at the same time. So here goes.

"...data that transfers over the internet is treated equally..."

It's "data...are." As "data" is really a plural. The singular of which, being..."datum" I believe.

Feel free to slap me now. It's just that you seem like a smart cookie and I'm sure you'd wanna know these things...and or you DO know these things and not everyone has a debilatating case of grammar naziism. Soooo....shutting up now.

yll said...

Thanks for the info & the links. It is very interesting.

Also, I didn't notice your "data faux-pas". But I do feel the need to also note that I actually had to look up two words (egregious & anathema) on dictionary.com.

Thanks for the triple-enlightenment.

v said...

It's cool Idle, no probs.

But I think data can be used as a plural and a singular. I looked it up on m-w.com and under the usage section "data" can refer to an abstract mass noun with singular verb and modifiers.

This might sound weird but I kinda think this would make for a great post. But first I have a monopoly post to do.

v said...

And you're very welcome Yllw. Thanks for stopping by.

0000 said...

*Feeling sheepish for my self-righteous grammarian zeal*

v said...

Stop it Idle. What you said was correct. I think in this case we're both right ... though I'd venture to guess most English Profs would find your point proper.