Friday, April 28, 2006

Yes, I'm Jealous

So the publishing world is aflame after Harvard Sophmore Kaavya Viswanathan was discovered to have gratuitously borrowed from the writings of teen-lit author Megan McCafferty. Plagiarism is always bad, but what strikes me from all this hubbub is that she was reportedly given $500k for her book deal (which includes two books, one of which she has just completed). 500 grand?!?!? She's like 19. Who is she, Shakespeare over here!?!? Man, when I was 19 I was playing video games and watching the NBA Playoffs. Anyway, stealing other people's ideas and work is bad. But paying a 19 year-old $500k to write two books about how girls are mean and image isn't everything ... well that just ain't right. Either that or I'm just jealous.

Anyway, for more on this check out Slate's wonderful piece by Ann Hulbert on how Viswanathan's publishers and agents may have helped in nudging her to "borrow."

Speaking of the NBA Playoffs, how about dem Bulls? I love how they play and I think Miami is vulnerable. I see this series going 6 or 7. Sacto almost stole a game from the defending champs (the Spurs). But after such a heartbreak loss, I think the Kings are done. The Lakers and Suns is definitely the series to watch. I thought the Suns would win in 5 or 6 but now that the Lakeshow has home court advantage, the Suns are in some trouble. Both Cavs/Wizards and Nets/Pacers seem like they'll be heading for the long haul. Hopefully LeBron will pull his team to victory and the Pacers will outlast the Nets.

2 comments:

sage said...

i saw where she had been accused of plagarism, but didn't know she received that large of an advance. Of course, she may need it as she may have to pay back the other author.

I laughed when you asked "Who is she, Shakespeare?" Lots of folks that the bard himself lifted stories from folks like Francis Bacon.

I think you must be the most die-hard NBA fan I sort of know.

Anonymous said...

Knowing this makes you want to go out and find something noteworthy to plagiarize, doesn't it? Seems like all the plagiarism cases get the attention, what with the recent Da Vinci code and the other million little pieces...