Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pet Corner

I don't have any pets but some time in the future I think I'll bond with a pup from the pound/shelter. Nevertheless, I like to think of myself as a big animal lover ... especially dogs. Watching PBS the other day I was able to come across a wonderful program called "Pets: A Very Natural History". The program mixed a short history of animal domestication with a couple insightful real life human/pet events. If this program airs on your local PBS station, I definitely recommend checking it out.

Two of the real life stories dealt with the uncanny bond between a human and a dog. In the first, a 6 foot, 180 pound man collapsed in a field near his house due to a heart attack. His 45 pound English Setter, Sadie, was able to drag his in-and-out of consciousness body for nearly two hours. She dragged him right up to his porch.

In the second story, a man's Golden Retriever, Dakota, was able to predict his heart attack seconds before it happened. The program mentioned that it is likely Dakota's sense of smell is so advanced that she was able to detect a change in her owner's sweat that precedes a heart attack. Dakota even predicted a co-worker's heart attack.

When I was younger I naturally wanted a pet but I wasn't willing to be responsible for it. And when I would hear other people talk about their pets as a member of the family I would (honestly now) find it a little strange. But I think that's perfectly normal now. When you care for a pet and it returns limitless affection and love ... and when such a friend actually saves your life ... not only is it natural to think of that pet as a member of the family but it seems strange not to.

5 comments:

sage said...

Our pound dog is a wonderful member of the family--he was "acquired" when I was out of town, but he sticks to me like glue. I like pound dogs--i wish he could be cloned--his mother was an australian sheep dog, his father some lone night ride, but there union has created what I consider a perfect dog.

yll said...

I, too, want a dog to call my own. But I don't think it's fair for me to get one now, if I'm going to be gone half the time anyway. But I can't wait for when I am a bit more settled so that I can have my own dog!

0000 said...

Yep, rescue pups are the best. Onyx is a big teddy bear!

Virenda said...

I too don't have any animals but think of myself as an animal lover. I don't have any but only because I have kids and they are work enough.

I LOVE the Dog Whisperer. It sounds lame but it's a super great show. It's on TLC, or Discovery, not sure, but you HAVE to watch it.

:0)

There are pets that are specifically for people that are prone to seizures because they not only HELP their owners NOT fall down the stairs or other things but they can predict when it's going to happen a few minutes prior and let their owners know. Animals are truly awesome and they are PEOPLES best-friends.

LOL I sound so lame.

norm said...

Norm has a dog from the humane society. He's a super sweety!!