Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Emmys

From my earlier post (about Conan hosting) you can see that I don't put much stake into the Emmy Awards. One of the main reasons is that crappy shows get nominated and win. For the last couple years "THE WIRE" has been one of the best programs on television. And while they're not eligible this time around (they had no original programs to air in the 2005 season), they have a grand total of 1 Emmy nomination for 3 seasons of exemplar work. That the show has yet to receive an acting nomination is completely ludicrous. But the Emmys get even crazier. While I haven't watched an episode of "Gilmore Girls" in years, the first couple seasons (the ones I watched) were very solid, especially the acting by Lauren Graham. Graham has yet to be nominated and the show has a grand total of 1 nomination for make-up. Now I understand one criticism of a show like "Gilmore Girls" is that it is sentimental at times. Well, so is/was "The West Wing" which has racked up a gazillion nominations. And so is "Grey's Anatomy" which has plenty of nominations. Now I'm not suggesting "The West Wing" or "Grey's Anatomy" should not be nominated, they are both decent shows and deserve nominations but perhaps not the plehora they have received. To suggest that the acting in WW or GA is somehow more demanding or superior to the acting in GG (for the first couple seasons I watched anyway) is absurd. If you want to check out real acting try THE WIRE or LOST. Which brings me to LOST. I have yet to see the second season (it hits DVD in about a week), but even if it fell off by 50% from the first season it should have received a nomination or three. And I think I know why LOST has been basically shut out this time around. The powers-that-be at the Emmys probably like to give each network a nomination for the big awards, therefore spreading the nominations around. Or maybe all the actors and technicians that vote are voting only for shows on their own networks. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it smells fishy --- I mean how the hell does "Two and a Half Men" get nominated (though maybe I should retain judgement until I've seen an episode). I understand the Emmy people used a new system for the nominations this year that were to bolster the newer and never-nominated contenders. Other than GA and "Two and a Half Men" I don't see that it has worked. Anyway, I guess I'll end my Emmy rant here and go on to some predictions:

Outstanding Comedy Series - It better be "Arrested Development" or "The Office"

Outstanding Drama Series - It will most likely be GA (which is a decent show) but I think House should get it. Though in reality this should go to THE WIRE --- I don't care if they are not eligible!

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Steve Carell better win this, or the Emmys are fixed! And evil.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Will Arnett! Oh please Emmy Gods! Do the right thing!

Speaking of which, how the hell did "Arrested Development" not get more nominations?!?!?!?

Oh yeah, and I will end with another Emmy suggestion. Enlarge the number of nominations from 5 to 8 or 10. That way more shows and actors and directors/writers get justly nominated.

Okay, I'm done.

Okay, 1 more:

Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series - Colbert Report, Daily Show, Conan, or Letterman ... how Bill Maher got nominated is an outrage.

3 comments:

yll said...

I have mixed feelings about maybe opening up more noms (from 5 to 8 or 10). In one way, it does allow more talent to be recognized.

But part of me thinks it'll also make getting a nod more commonplace. It's much more exclusive & means a little sumptin extra this way.

But I do agree about Charlie Sheen. I have seen a couple of episodes (I'm sorry, but I was looking for the Julia Louise-Dreyfus show, & found it on accident). And he shouldn't have gotten a nom. (Sorry Charlie)

M-M-M-Mishy said...

My question: How the hell did Barry Manilow get nominated, let alone win against everyone else in his category? And how much botox has been injected into that man's face?

v said...

Yeah, how did Manilow beat Stephen Colbert?!?!?! I blame crazy old ladies and crazy old gays ... 'cause they just can't get enough Manilow.