Monday, August 21, 2006

Media Test -- Updated

So last week I had a post entitled "Media Test" which linked to this internet video.

After viewing the video I asked the question: "Is this vid laughing at or laughing with preppies?"

Anyway, the point of the post was to run a little media literacy test because I strongly feel the video is BOTH laughing AT and laughing WITH preppies. And it is doing this because of the fact it is a marketing tool by the Smirnoff company for their new beverage "Raw Tea".

While I admit the mock video is funny (it has its moments), it seems rather sneaky and disingenuous for a multi-million dollar corporation to put together a slick mock music video commercial and try to pass it off as the product of some anonymous group (college kids or stand-ups or etc) who then uploaded the vid to the web. While Smirnoff is named numerous times in the video, there's no official logo or trademark to give the impression that the video is actually a commercial.

Now I understand most people will find this to be no big deal because we are bombarded by advertisements all the time. I think because we're already bombed with ads, it is important to know when we are watching something whose aim is truly comic or satiric and when we are watching something whose aim is commercial.

Which brings me to my last point. Is the vid really satiric? I personally do not think so. While the whole "preppie" as "gangsta" act is funny, as far as I can tell they both like to rap about their riches. The preppie rap lyrics go on to point out their "Ivy League education" and that their parents run the nation. And the video's "female talent" are basically interchangeable with any rap video --- the attire is the only difference. So while at first glance this may seem like a slight dig at preppies acting like gangstas, there's enough here to knowingly laugh with the type of preppies being portrayed. Now I'd like to point out here that being "preppie" isn't some kind of evil or bad thing or that every "preppie" likes to brag about being rich and feels their "kind" run the nation. It is just that this vid is doing both, laughing AT and WITH preppies.

Which I have to admit is excellent, sneaky, manipulative advertising.

4 comments:

sage said...

wow, I have a lot of catching up to do over here! V, it looks like you've been busy posting. I'll come back and let you know if I think the video is satirical.

v said...

Take yer time Sage, I know you just got back from a family vacation.

I am with you 100% Ffleur. I have to admit Smirnoff (and the ad agency that produced the vid) has an excellent marketing/advertising tool here, attracting a spectrum of drinkers.

But this marketing vid is why I hate ads so much. And further more, I think it makes for a great reason why we should question the source of the media we consume.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

It's an ad?!? That is garbage! I thought it was pretty funny and original and now it's rather depressing that it was just trying to promote something. Granted I don't remember the references to Smirnoff, and I didn't feel the urge to drink anything after watching it, but still. Booooo...

yll said...

I think it's a clever ad. After viewing the video link you gave us, I did a lil research on it. And read some article by a marketing corp about it too. I can't find it now though. Sorry.