Monday, August 07, 2006

SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999)

Do you have a netflix queue? If you don't you should get one. Anyway I have one (as does your Grandma Ilene, so maybe you should look into one) and it's filled with a gazillion flicks I needed to see like yesterday. I'm pretty good with adding new films because they get advertised on the tele (hmm, first "queue" now "tele" --- the Brits are coming for their language ... I say over the center of my discolored dead body). But films from the past decade which I wanted to see when they first debuted but simply missed and now forgotten about ... well those films are a bit harder to queue up. However they do come on cable tv. Now I should really rent these films from netflix because tv shreds 10+ minutes to squeeze in enough commercials. But then I may simply forget again and let's face it, I can't say no to a good film. Which brings me to this lovely gem:

SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999)

Rating: ****1/2 out of 5

This gothic horror mystery simply has it all: a thrillingly entertaining plot, wonderfully creepy sets, superb acting, and a sprinkle of comedy for good measure. New York Constable Ichabod Crane (Depp), who places science before spirits, is called to Sleepy Hollow to investigate murders at the hand of what the townsfolk describe as a Headless Horseman. The direction is outstanding. Tim Burton has a lot going on simply from the plot; he adds an interesting dreamscape backstory and juggles everything splendidly onscreen. The visuals are fantastic, from the mesmerizing still that introduces the titles to the eerie, foggy Hollow that is a character in its own right. The film is more than simply plot as screenwriter Andrew Kevin Walker pens several clever, charming, and comedic lines. And the two leads seem to have a majestic time uttering them. Johnny Depp’s idiosyncratic Crane is simply a joy to watch. This one should not be missed.

6 comments:

v said...

I'd just like to add that I have not read the original short story THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW by Washington Irving. And that a critic I admire feels the short story is far superior to the Tim Burton film. This critic found the film mildly enjoyable.

Kat in da Hat said...

I really do like this movie. It's been a while since I've seen it. It may be time again.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Anonymous really want to help you out financially, V. How nice of them!

I haven't seen this one yet. I remember I wanted to see it years ago when it first came out but it got pushed to the back burner and then I forgot about it. If you have such a high review, I will try to remember to pick it up the next time I'm in the store.

P.S. Just call me Nana... I don't have a Netflix queue. Is it available in Canada?

Jay said...

I'm a huge fan of a good be-heading, and this movie is full of them. That, and Walken finally shows his true form.

GetFlix said...

I've never been a Depp fan, but at the same time find him to be a decent actor that seems to always be up for interesting roles.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Oldsmobile 1988