Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Science Corner

So there's an astronomer's convention in Prague and one of the hot topics of debate is how should a planet be defined. The debate centers squarely on Pluto. One side considers Pluto a planet while the other side does not. If Pluto is a planet, then there are three other space bodies that will immediately be labeled as planets as well. However, this would define a planet as "any object larger than 500 miles in diameter that orbits the sun, has a mass roughly one-12,000th that of Earth and has enough self-gravity to pull itself into a round shape." Critics point out that this definition would most likely add other bodies and asteriods in our solar system.

Now, I understand I am thoroughly unqualified to opine on this debate. Nevertheless, my voice on the subject must be heard for I bring a Colbert level of truthiness!

I am totally with the side that wants to kick Pluto out of the planets clique. First of all, Pluto is smaller than our moon. And B, Pluto's so called moon Charon is roughly as big Pluto. Parte tres, Pluto and Charon both orbit a point in space that is between them ... they basically revolve around each other. Anyway, I just had to bring the truthiness out and call Pluto on its planet imposter status.

And now for your reading pleasure, a conversation overheard at the convention:


Astronomer #1: So I hear you consider Pluto to be a planet.

Astronomer #2: That's right. It's a round shape, at least 500 miles in diameter, and has an orbit.

Astronomer #1: Hmmm, is that right?

Astronomer #2: Oh, you betcha.

Astronomer #1: Well my balls are 500 miles in diameter and they orbit Uranus but you don't see me trying to get them labeled as planets, do ya?

Astronomer #2: Very clever butt-munch.

FIN

3 comments:

yll said...

I too, have always thought that Pluto should be kicked out. Even my astrology prof in college (10 YEARS ago!!!) said this way back then. And explained the reasons why.

It's a moon at best (AT BEST!). A binary one. Does that make Pluto bi? Yes, I think so.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

It's official. It was removed today. It's a little sad. When we studied the solar system in grade 1, I always felt sorry for Pluto because he was stuck out there, the furthest away from all the other planets being all small and cold with no other planets to socialize with. Now he's been stripped of his title as a planet? When does Pluto get his? Huh???

Anonymous said...

But it's not always stuck out there, the furthest. Sometimes, it cuts off Neptune.

I, for one, am glad to see it now in it's proper classification.