Thursday, September 14, 2006

POV - Waging a Living

The other day I saw a sharp documentary on PBS's POV series. Titled "Waging a Living" the documentary profiled and followed 4 single parents working at or near minimum wage. The federal minimum wage has not been increased in 10 years. Back in 1996 President Clinton allowed States to set their own minimum wage above the federal level. So far, **19 States have done so. Measured for inflation, the current federal minimum wage ($5.15 an hour in 2005 dollars) is considerably less that it was in 1968 ($9.12 an hour in 2005 dollars). (For the record, the minimum wage's inflation adjusted purchasing power was at its peak in 1968.) The documentary shows the viewer on an intimate, personal level just how difficult it is to survive on or near the minimum wage. And as important, the documentary highlights just how Kafkaesque the government assistance programs can be. In one case, as a single mother excelled at her job and received a raise. Only to have her much needed assistance cut back. In the end her raise cost her $100 per month. She decided to shift to part-time and focus on her college career. Yes, this single mother completed her Associate's Degree while working full time and taking care of her 5 children. There are other poignant, heartfelt (and heart wrenching) moments in this skillful documentary. For those interested, visit the website and check when it will be rebroadcast in your area.

As for the minimum wage, I do not see why it cannot be tied to inflation. Or at the least update each year (or each non-recession year). Though I understand a strict minimum wage for all 50 States is not the best solution as different states have varying living conditions. Perhaps the best scenario would be an individual minimum wage for each Metropolitan Area. I know many cities and regions have "living wages" but I have just learned that living wages only affect (or should I use 'effect' here?) companies with contracts to the local government.

In any case, this documentary spotlights just how important the minimum wage issue truly is.

**EDIT: I first stated 14 States had increased their minimum wage. This was sourced from Wikipedia. I have changed it to 19 States after reading the interview with Barbara Ehrenreich on the "Waging a Living" website.

4 comments:

PixieGaf said...

V I thought I was the only one who watches the PBS P.O.V. documentaries. I saw this documentary a few weeks ago and I loved it. It is really sad to see how much poverty there is and how woman are almost always at the brunt of it.

Did you get to see the Baraka School documentary that was on yesterday on PBS?

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an excellent documentary. If you are interested in this topic, I read a great book on minimum wage called Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenrich. She takes on a series of lower paying jobs, and lives soley on the money she earns. There's some controversy over her methods, but I thought that she touched on some very relevant issues. Similar to an episode of "30 Days" where that guy who did "Super-Size Me" lives on minimum wage for a month.

Anonymous said...

good review--these findings need exposure!

btw, after reading about the Baylor study below, I'd put myself in the Benevolent God category.

sage
www.sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com

v said...

Pixster, we need to start a POV club or something! Do you watch FRONTLINE as well? I highly, highly, highly, highly, highly (okay you get the point) recommend FRONTLINE! Yeah, I saw the Baraka School documentary as well, it was stellar.

Mishster, I totally need to put that book on my "Must Read" list ... thanks for the remind, though I remember you mentioning it in one of your posts. Also, there's an interview with Ehrenreich on the Waging a Living website!

Sagester, glad to hear you checked out the God Personality study. It is pretty fascinating stuff.