Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Slate Rundown

Emily Yoffe, who writes both Slate's advice column and Human Guinea Pig (in which she tries out different jobs, skills, opportunities, etc), has a great current Human Guinea Pig column in which she decides to follow the Dog Whisperer and reign in her family dog (did I use the correct "reign" here?).

It's Fashion Week. Slate usually has a few cool pieces on the event. This year they sent their TV columnist, the metrosexual and funny Troy Patterson (I thought he was gay until he mentioned his recent wedding or engagement) to report on what all the hoopla is about. He didn't find the models sexy. I tell you my gaydar is never wrong!

In today's edition of Slate's 'today's papers' column, two very interesting new studies were flagged.

The first is a Baylor University survey on God and religion. It came up with some interesting conclusions. Most Americans have basically 4 ideas of God's personality. There's the Authoritarian God, the Benevolent God, the Critical God, and the Distant God. The study also points out that which type/idea of God one subscribes to tells a lot about that person's political and ideological views. It's pretty intriguing stuff and a good read.

The second is a study by Dr. Drew (from Loveline) that shows celebrities are (big shocker coming up) more narcissistic than the rest of us. Out of the celebrities surveyed, musicians were the least narcissistic and reality tv stars were the most narcissistic. Also, female celebs were more narcissistic than male celebs. However, in the general population males are more narcissistic than females. If you have the time to answer 40 questions, you can find out your narcissistic quotient here. The survey seems a bit obvious to me, I hope this wasn't what they used in the study. Whatever though.

3 comments:

PixieGaf said...

The Baylor university survey on God was an interesting read. I myself fall into the Distant God category. I am a lapsed Catholic, I don't attend church and I try not to judge people based on their moral values.

I got 3 points on the narcissistic quiz. I guess I am a pretty modest person.

v said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much a Distant God type myself. Though sometimes I lean towards uncertainty about God.

I got like 9 points on the quiz. I still say it's really, really obvious, lol.

Anonymous said...

Great rundown on Slate's updates. I'm going to have to check out the piece about beliefs in God... I doesn't surprise me that celebrities are narcissitic, but I was surprised to find out that musicians are the least. I'm a bit hesitant to take that narcissistic test.

sage
www.sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com