Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The West Wing is back.

So I made it back from class just in time to check out "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" on NBC. This new drama revolves around an SNL-like show. It's also created (and produced, natch) by Aaron Sorkin who gave us the first several years of "The West Wing". I enjoyed and was an avid viewer of the first couple seasons of "The West Wing" but I was also a less discriminating viewer back then. I'll most likely watch the next few episodes of "Studio 60" but I doubt I'll become an avid viewer because the show seems to be a rehash of "The West Wing". For those who enjoy Sorkin's fast paced dialogue and his cast of either impudent or pseudo-quirky characters, this show is right up your alley. For me, most of his work is 45% cliche and 45% sentiment, with 10% of real, refreshing, original merit.

The setting of a Hollywood tv show, Sorkin's own backyard, may better play to his strengths. Though the show is mainly about the professional and personal relationships of those who inhabit the fictional Studio 60. Which isn't all that different from the relationships of those who inhabit a fictional White House or Sports Network (Sorkin also created "Sports Night"). Nevertheless, a tv show setting brings with it the chance for autobiography and we seem to be getting some of that with the two main characters. Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford play a critically acclaimed, edgy comedic writer/director duo. Sorkin and director Thomas Schlamme have received similar notoriety (though as tv show creators, not comedians) since they paired together on "Sports Night". In the pilot for "Studio 60" the director portion of the duo (Whitford) fails a drug test for cocaine. Just a few years ago Sorkin infamously battled with his addiction to cocaine. I wonder if the rest of the show, especially the politics, decision making, and motivations of the network brass, will keep with this type of honesty.

Unfortunately, much of "Studio 60" feels like "The West Wing" deja vu. There's even a political left/right rift in one of the couplings. Matthew Perry's character recently split up with one of the castmembers of "Studio 60" (Sarah Paulson, who was great on DEADWOOD) who also happens to lean a little right when it comes to her Christian faith.

And one of the main obstacles I think Sorkin and his writing team will have, is simply to be funny. Just take a look at SNL. It's hard enough for SNL to be consistently funny. And now a tv drama about a fictional SNL type show is going to try its hand at it? Good luck.

And after all this badmouthing from me, the pilot was enjoyable enough and there is much potential. Unfortunately, I don't think this show will reach it.

3 comments:

indianboy said...

to be frank you are being too modest your blog does not "suck"

Anonymous said...

I kinda hope Studio 60 does well. I never got into The West Wing, so its all new for me. Although, when you watched it, were you also waiting to see just a little bit of Chandler Bing come out? "Could I BE any higher on pain medication? Could I BE more attracted to Amanda Peet's character?" You know.

Although, I hated Amanda Peet's character. She was totally not my cup of tea.

PixieGaf said...

Damn I forgot to watch it. Nice review V.