Sunday, September 17, 2006

Slate Rundown

I cannot say enough good things about HBO's THE WIRE. Neither can Slate, calling it the best show on television.

FOX News deservedly gets criticized for its use of verbal bullies and ignorant sensationalism. However CNN's Nancy Grace is guilty of the same behavior in her tabloid treatment of headline criminal cases (Scott Peterson, Gary Condit, Elizabeth Smart). In a recent incident, the woman of a missing toddler committed suicide a few hours before the CNN airing of her taped interview with Nancy Grace. Now I am not implying Grace's rough interview with the woman directly caused the suicide. Also, the woman was a suspect in the case. Nevertheless, the sharp Dahlia Lithwick mentions the incident to spotlight her apt criticism of Grace's rampant prosecutorial tabloidism and Grace's disregard for the legal process. It is a great read.

Speaking of Lithwick, she also penned an informative piece on the current debate over legislating foreign detainee interrogation guidelines. The key battle is over the definition of torture with the Bush Administration wanting "shocks the conscience" while the Senate opposition (including major Republicans) wants to adopt the exact text of the Geneva Conventions ("outrages upon personal dignity, in particular, humiliating and degrading treatment"). In a speech last week, Bush argued the "shocks the conscience" definition would be more clear and exact. As Lithwick skillfully explains, that's clearly not the case. Would the Bush Administration lie about their reasons for wanting their definition? I'm so shocked.

Speaking of Republican liars, Congressman Bob Ney pleaded guilty to corruption charges stemming from the Jack Abramoff scandal. Ney will be doing jailtime (27 months) and pay a hefty fine (up to $500k).

This is not to say that the Democrats don't have liars or corrupt politicians. They have plenty. When the story first broke about Dem Congressman William Jefferson's corruption scandal I posted on it. I think it reflects our sad political state that he is still under investigation. Though there was a big hubbub over an executive branch agency investigating a legislative branch official. Of course is all executive branch agenices are forbidden to investigate, who's going to do it?

Another major figure in the Abramoff scandel is GOP Senator Conrad Burns (R-Montana) who took $150k from Abramoff. Burns is in a heated race with Dem John Tester. Burns also has a YouTube vid of him napping at a Senate hearing and likes to disparage firefighters and his Guatemalan illegal, house painter (scroll to the bottom). After all this, there's still a chance he might remain a US Senator. Montana, why do you make it so hard to like you? Lol.

And in Slate's continuing dispatch from Fashion Week: Yes, the Fashion Professionals know that what's fashionable can make the average woman not look so great. "You have to be able to convince people that it looks good even when it doesn't. … These shapeless, boxy tops over leggings can make an average American woman look horrible, but everyone's gonna buy it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great summary again V, and I loved the Sen. Burns video. But I like Montana--wonderful country--I'd love to live there and if I ever do, they'll have to import another Repubican to balance things out (or register a cow)

sage

Anonymous said...

Nancy Grace always seems to have a "guilty until prooven innocent" theme on her show. I have to turn the channel whenever I catch a bit of it, because she is way too in your face for my liking. This story is interesting... will def. continue to follow it.

Oh, and after reading The Slate off of your blog, I like it so much I'm going to add it to my blog links. Much better than getting my news from CNN (and I only read that because its updated so quickly). Good read, V.

v said...

Sage - Yeah, I've never been to Montana so I should refrain judgement. But they make it so hard, lol. Though, who doesn't love registered cow voters, lol.

Mishster - I'm glad you like Slate. I seriously cannot live without it.